Check engine light, pulled codes, have questions

First off, my car and mods
89 vert, 5 speed, a9l computer
new motor with GT40 heads, e cam, explorer intake, 24lb injectors, c&l maf, bbk cai. EGR is gone, smog pump is gone, off road h-pipe. if you need any other mods, let me know.
Ok, so i ran the KOEO test, and came up with 84 and 85.
84 is an egr failure, which is no surprise. I bought an egr delete and little plug from a place i found on the board.
the 85 says CANP circuit failure, but i dont know what that is?

Also, i tried to run the KOER and my car would idle around 1500, the CEL flashed 4 times, and that was the end of it. What am i doing wrong there?

Little back story on my CEL. I had the motor together and running for about 800 miles when i left on a 1400 mile road trip. About half way into the trip the CEL lit up. I pulled over, killed the car and fired it back up. Light was out, so i kept rolling. it would randomly come back on, but anytime i shut the car off, it was gone. Car hasnt run any different, so it doesnt have me terribly worried. But any help would be nice.

• Sponsors (?)

Removing the pollution control equipment diesn't make the car any faster. The computer shuts all of it off when you go WOT (wide open throttle). All is does is make the computer angry and spit codes. Every time the Check Engine Light comes on the computer switches to Failure Emergency Management Mode or "Limp mode" which reduces performance and economy.

The Key On Engine Running tests did exactly what they are supposed to do. The 4 flashes signal an 8 cylinder computer and the rev to 1500 RPM was an EGR test that failed. When the EGR test failed, the code dump probably aborted and you got no engine running codes.

Code 84 EGR Vacuum Regulator failure – Broken vacuum lines, no +12 volts, regulator coil open circuit. The EVR regulates vacuum to the EGR valve to maintain the correct amount of vacuum. The solenoid coil should measure 20-70 Ohms resistance. The regulator has a vacuum feed on the bottom which draws from the intake manifold. The other vacuum line is regulated vacuum going to the EGR valve. One side of the EVR electrical circuit is +12 volts anytime the ignition switch is in the run position. The other side of the electrical circuit is the ground path and is controlled by the computer. The computer switches the ground on and off to control the regulator solenoid.

Code 85 - CANP solenoid - The Carbon Canister solenoid is inoperative or missing. Check vacuum lines for leaks and cracks. Check electrical wiring for loose connections, damaged wiring and insulation. Check solenoid valve operation by grounding the gray/yellow wire to the solenoid and blowing through it.
The computer provides the ground for the solenoid. The red wire to the solenoid is always energized any time the ignition switch is in the run position.

Charcoal canister plumbing - one 3/8" tube from the bottom of the upper manifold to the rubber hose. Rubber hose connects to one side of the canister solenoid valve. Other side of the solenoid valve connects to one side of the canister. The other side of the canister connects to a rubber hose that connects to a line that goes all the way back to the gas tank. There is an electrical connector coming from the passenger side injector harness near #1 injector that plugs into the canister solenoid valve. It's purpose is to vent the gas tank. The solenoid valve opens at cruse to provide some extra fuel.

It does not weigh but a pound or so and helps richen up the cruse mixture. It draws no HP & keeps the car from smelling like gasoline in a closed garage. So with all these good things and no bad ones, why not hook it up & use it?

LRS-9653B.jpg

i've had the egr deleted and the KOER test still worked. i also thought that when the car revs up at the beginning of the test was to check to see if the computer could advance the timing or something like that . i could be wrong though. :D

i've had the egr deleted and the KOER test still worked. i also thought that when the car revs up at the beginning of the test was to check to see if the computer could advance the timing or something like that . i could be wrong though. :D

Check your friendly Chilton's shop manual. The entire proceedure is spelled out in detail.

Removing the pollution control equipment diesn't make the car any faster. The computer shuts all of it off when you go WOT (wide open throttle). All is does is make the computer angry and spit codes. Every time the Check Engine Light comes on the computer switches to Failure Emergency Management Mode or "Limp mode" which reduces performance and economy.

The Key On Engine Running tests did exactly what they are supposed to do. The 4 flashes signal an 8 cylinder computer and the rev to 1500 RPM was an EGR test that failed. When the EGR test failed, the code dump probably aborted and you got no engine running codes.

Code 84 EGR Vacuum Regulator failure – Broken vacuum lines, no +12 volts, regulator coil open circuit. The EVR regulates vacuum to the EGR valve to maintain the correct amount of vacuum. The solenoid coil should measure 20-70 Ohms resistance. The regulator has a vacuum feed on the bottom which draws from the intake manifold. The other vacuum line is regulated vacuum going to the EGR valve. One side of the EVR electrical circuit is +12 volts anytime the ignition switch is in the run position. The other side of the electrical circuit is the ground path and is controlled by the computer. The computer switches the ground on and off to control the regulator solenoid.

Code 85 - CANP solenoid - The Carbon Canister solenoid is inoperative or missing. Check vacuum lines for leaks and cracks. Check electrical wiring for loose connections, damaged wiring and insulation. Check solenoid valve operation by grounding the gray/yellow wire to the solenoid and blowing through it.
The computer provides the ground for the solenoid. The red wire to the solenoid is always energized any time the ignition switch is in the run position.

Charcoal canister plumbing - one 3/8" tube from the bottom of the upper manifold to the rubber hose. Rubber hose connects to one side of the canister solenoid valve. Other side of the solenoid valve connects to one side of the canister. The other side of the canister connects to a rubber hose that connects to a line that goes all the way back to the gas tank. There is an electrical connector coming from the passenger side injector harness near #1 injector that plugs into the canister solenoid valve. It's purpose is to vent the gas tank. The solenoid valve opens at cruse to provide some extra fuel.

It does not weigh but a pound or so and helps richen up the cruse mixture. It draws no HP & keeps the car from smelling like gasoline in a closed garage. So with all these good things and no bad ones, why not hook it up & use it?

LRS-9653B.jpg
i bought the car minus the polution equipment, and i am not about to dig around, find whats missing and re-run all the vacuum lines. I'll live with the CEL until i get it tuned.