Check Lights and ideling

96cobra4.6

May 13, 2005
Two questions for today:

1. I noticed that the Check Engine light, and the Airbag light are on. I talked to the previous owner and he said that it is normal due to all the aftermarket parts, s/c, and other things. Is this normal? and can the ECU be cleared of these trouble codes?

2. I noticed that when I drive the car it wants to idle fast sometimes then slow sometimes. Is this a common problem? and what could be some fixes for this?

Thanks for all the help!

• Sponsors (?)

96cobra4.6 said:
Two questions for today:

1. I noticed that the Check Engine light, and the Airbag light are on. I talked to the previous owner and he said that it is normal due to all the aftermarket parts, s/c, and other things. Is this normal? and can the ECU be cleared of these trouble codes?

2. I noticed that when I drive the car it wants to idle fast sometimes then slow sometimes. Is this a common problem? and what could be some fixes for this?

Thanks for all the help!

for ? one. i suggest getting a tuner to del rear 02 sensors for check engine light. i bought the mils and they didnt work for me... the diablo preditor tuner is what i went with. its kind of expensive, but it does a lot of stuff.

four.six said:
for ? one. i suggest getting a tuner to del rear 02 sensors for check engine light. i bought the mils and they didnt work for me... the diablo preditor tuner is what i went with. its kind of expensive, but it does a lot of stuff.
theres a few thousand other reasons why the check engine light will come on besides not having cats. if you go to a Ford Dealer, even in another country, as long as they have the WDS (Worldwide Diagnostic Scanner), they can help you out. Ford uses the same scan tool worldwide.

I would be more worried about the air bag light, wouldn't that mean one is disconnected, or they have been deployed for some reason? a code scanner should tell everything, unless they have been cleared. Good luck over there with the super cars.