Check my engine combo

Tim65GT

Feb 24, 2004
West Texas
Thinking of getting this Ford Racing Crate Motor:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FMS-M-6007-XE3M

It has the M-6250-E303 Cam which is 220 duration at .050" and .498 lift on both intake and exhaust. The heads have little bigger than I would like 63cc chambers and 178cc intake ports.

I currently only have a Performer intake and 500cfm 1404 carb. I plan on keeping the stock C4 and converter for now with the hopes of upgrading to somthing with overdrive in the future. The rear gears are open 3.00, but I plan to upgrade to a trac-loc with 3.55 or so.

From what I hear, the Performer intake isn't much better than stock, so I was thinking of getting the Wieand Stealth. I have about an extra 1 1/2" hood clearance to spare right now.

Also, I have an Edelbrock 1405 600 cfm carb that is missing hardware. If need be, can't I swap parts from my 1404 to the 1405? I think the only difference is the secondaries are a tad bigger.

For the exhaust, I'm thinking of the ceramic coated tri-Ys and the Flowmaster 2 1/2inch system. I now have a cheapo 2" system.

Any input is welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

another good intake to consider is the cobra hi-rise style, ford racing also makes it's own newer version of that intake as well, i believe both are made by blue thunder. it's probably as good if not a little better than the stealth and it looks more original, if that matters to you.

you should be able to swap hardware from the 500 to the 600 as long as it's just hardware you're swapping.

also remember that you'll need a conversion damper for the 5.0 if you plan on using your stock accessory drives as well as a 50oz imbalance flexplate for a c4 too. and i'm sure you already know you'll need to use your stock oil pan and the early timing cover as well. don't forget that you'll need the correct fuel pump eccentric and dowel to run a mechanical fuel pump and you'll need to plug the dipstick hole in the rear of the block, i'd suggest tapping the hole and installing a pipe plug while you have the oil pan off.

you might check to see if you can get that engine as a short block and order the same heads but with the 60cc chambers to get a little bump in compression and you might actually save a few bucks doing it that way as well, it's at least worth checking into and since you're going to have to change everything that's attached to the motor anyway it might actually work out better for you too.

some parts will interchange on the 500 and 600 cfm carbs, but I am not sure which ones. You might have to contact edelbrock about that. The 600 should work nice for it though.

Your gear selection looks good.

Definitely get the Stealth intake.

Thanks for the replies.

also remember that you'll need a conversion damper for the 5.0 if you plan on using your stock accessory drives as well as a 50oz imbalance flexplate for a c4 too. and i'm sure you already know you'll need to use your stock oil pan and the early timing cover as well. don't forget that you'll need the correct fuel pump eccentric and dowel to run a mechanical fuel pump and you'll need to plug the dipstick hole in the rear of the block, i'd suggest tapping the hole and installing a pipe plug while you have the oil pan off.

It comes with a 4 hole balancer and I have already Summit balancer which works with both 3 and 4 holes, but I have to get the optional 50oz weight for it if I need to use it. I was hoping to use the front dress it comes with and convert to serp drive, if I can use a mech fuel pump. It looks like (from the picture) that is has a fuel pump boss on the timing cover with a block off plate. Anyone know if it's doable? Will an Edelbrock size pump fit? I won't be running a power steering pump.

Thanks for the replies.

It comes with a 4 hole balancer and I have already Summit balancer which works with both 3 and 4 holes, but I have to get the optional 50oz weight for it if I need to use it. I was hoping to use the front dress it comes with and convert to serp drive, if I can use a mech fuel pump. It looks like (from the picture) that is has a fuel pump boss on the timing cover with a block off plate. Anyone know if it's doable? Will an Edelbrock size pump fit? I won't be running a power steering pump.

this timing cover requires a reverse rotation water pump so that will factor into the serpentine system you choose and also your engine driven fan, if you have one, will need to be changed for a reverse rotation fan. should still be able to use the mech. fuel pump if it has provisions for it.

this timing cover requires a reverse rotation water pump so that will factor into the serpentine system you choose and also your engine driven fan, if you have one, will need to be changed for a reverse rotation fan. should still be able to use the mech. fuel pump if it has provisions for it.

It comes with the rev rotation pump, and I have an elect. fan.

I just don't know if it will allow a "full size" mech fuel pump.