Chepie is sold....

chepsk8

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2001
Easton, PA
Brace yourselves, it's true. :( :( :jaw:

The deal has been in process for a few weeks, but I have been quiet on it until things became official. Very mixed feelings about it, but it's time to close this door, and open a new one. I am also going to part out my 88 GT. Next project? I will be ordering a Factory Five Cobra kit shortly, unless I win the lottery in the interim.

The new owner's name is Pat, and he lives in Minnesota. Chepie will be finished in the way I was going to. He likes the work I have started, and will finish the bodywork and paint the car, keeping it Indian fire. He is also thinking of converting the interior to white deluxe. Everything else should be kept as is. He know's the car's history, and seems to be happy being the next person to keep the car's intent intact. He was looking specifically for a 69 'Vert to drive, yet had some upgrades to make it better than stock. Chepie fit his wish list. He has promised me to keep me posted of the car's progress, I have mede myself available for any questions.

Good news for all of you here, I have absolutely no intention of going away from here. In the three plus years I have been here, you all heve helped me through a divorce, helped me with my magazine work, and actually had a very important and guiding role in the evolution of the car. A debt to you all I can never fully repay. I really enjoyed being part of the 69 'Vert club, now Pak is the only member to my knowlege. I'll keep my status as a "vert owner emeritus, if that's OK with all of you.

And finally, I posted here, because this is where it started, and I wanted to let all of you know here. Thanks for hearing me out.

This is by far the hardest post I have ever written. Thanks for giving me the space. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Ugh, that hurts man. :(

Glad its found a good home though. I'm even more glad to hear that you will still be here. I always wanted to see a Factory 5 come together. :D

Edit: Thought of something else... Ya think Pat might post here now that he's the owner of the legendary Cheapie? :shrug:

Sorry to hear that. I thought that you had decided to keep it. Well, as long as you hang around, that'll be cool. As far as the FFR Cobra goes, how about the Coupe? Cobra's are becoming a dime-a-dozen. I plan on building a FFR product in the future.

Cheapsk8. Even though that Factory Five isn't a Mustang, I for one would love to watch ya build it here via Stangnet.

I understand how upsetting it is selling something that you put so much into, but sometimes we have to move on, and look forward to the future.

Good luck!!

In actuality, I'd prefer to do the Coupe, but limited financial resources hold me back. I'm going to build the roadster with the same principles as Chepie, follow the rules, but improvise and scrounge for fun when possible.

Of course you guys will be hearing about it!

I knew you were looking to sell, but it still caught me a bit off guard. I too am pleased to hear Chepie is going to a good owner that will keep her intent (content) the same. The worst thing for me would be if the car ended up being something some guy showed as an "ex magazine feature car" :rolleyes: ... you know what I mean? I've followed the projects that've been published since the rack&pinion (or was there a suspension rebuild before that???), and the one thing that always struck me was that you were always developing the car, never static, and always with the intent that it be driven. This directly contributed to my own personal view of how and why cars should be built, including my own Mach 1. The lessons Cheapie has provided will survive her.

I'm also interested to see the FFR project take shape, so don't hesitate to keep us posted. I do suspect we will lose your company more and more as you find yourself posting on Cobra and FFR related boards. That's ok, 'cause you gotta do what is good for you, and surely, no one here will ever hold that against you.

I do have one question... Will this effect your writing for Hemmings, or will you continue to contribute Mustang related articles? I've always liked your grounded perspective. :nice:

Congrats on the sale, and good luck on the future endeavor. :flag:

The future

DarkBudda,

I am in awe of your great words. I had no idea I was an influence, I only enjoy sharing what I do! Humble thanks. I have always been a driving person, never trailering any of my over 20 Mustangs, even driving the Cobra-Jet from Eastern PA alll the way to Charlotte twice, Detroit, Indianapolis, and other long trips. I have always lived by the credo "Built to Drive", and do not like trailer queens.

I cannot predict the future, but my intent is to stay here. As stated before, This place is a great place, it has been a steadying force for me. Yes, I will probably join a forum specific to the project at some point, but that is in the future.

As for Hemmings, sharpen your eyeballs! Lot's of stuff in the hopper! I had probably pretty much exhausted the things I could do with the car, though some are still un-published, and will be printed soon. Some other neat articles also on tap. Your comments on my writing directly echo my publisher, and they have every intent on using me as often aspossible. They assign, I write. I hope to be in Nashville at the big 40th gig, working thier booth. If not, Brian will be there, stop in and say "HI", and you like th mag. They may have shirts in sale there.

When the New product begins, of course I'll be keeping everyone in the loop!

Yes, the sale was unexpected for me to, the buyer was referred to me by another 69 'Vert owner, so I actually had to do very little selling work. I was dreading a possible e-bay or other on-line selling hassle.

An Early one

HM,

I'm suprised yet appreciative for your comments. Yes, if the Cobra project does not work out as I want, I plan to build another DECEIVER, which was based on a 1968 Mustang Convertible, but dressed as a 19697 Shelby, and has a fully prepped chassis and driveline underneath so I can continue my open-track activities.

If I ever win the lottery, a CSX2000 or 65-67 GT-350 would be nice..... :nice:

A coupe project....

As the others, I'm sorry to hear that you've sold Chepie! I look forward to hearing and seeing your Cobra project progress. As for a coupe project.....you are always more than welcome to pay me a visit on L.I. and help turn a wrench or two on mine! could even be some cold brews and sizzlin' steaks in the deal!:nice:

btw.....I think you should let Chepie's new "daddy" know that all of her "kin" around here want to meet him!:nice:

Hey Cheapie,

I think that car was an inspiration to many of us on this board, especially for those who had a strict budget to follow. I first read of your adventures while leafing through the subscription I had to Mustang Illustrated ( I think this was it) back in 2001 as a sophomore in college. In the article a place called Stangnet was mentioned that you had used as a reference for your ideas. I figured I would check it out and here I still am after nearly three years. Still working on a budget as a recent grad I have given up my subscription to the MI since I get all the best ideas from this website as it is. Thanks for the referal and sorry to hear that the car is gone. I LOVE Cobras, if you need ANY help let me know, I will drive on over and lend you a hand.

Mike

Yea me and my family have been trying to find my dads lost 69 z28 camaro for years and it is prety much come to an end so instead he has said the only thing he would take otherwise is a 67 ac cobra that we would build together. He wants it to be a 289 though. I like that also. SO I VOTE TO SEE YOU FAC 5 COME TOGETHER HERE VIA STANGNET. That would be awsom.
:flag:
The Snake

hey dan, i'm right there with everyone else on the inspiration ol chepie has provided, i was actually one of the first people to contact you about the possible purchase of a rack kit after the article ran in MI (or was it MM?) anyway i also am saddened to see chepie go, but i know there are bigger and better things in the works with the cobra kit. oh yeah i keep forgetting to email you about the headlight bucket you have, i'll do it tonight for sure. if you'll send me a total with shipping i'll get a money order out to you this week, that is unless you have decided to let it go with chepie. that is about the only part i still need for the front end on the GT. oh yeah, if you need any magazine fodder just shoot me an email and i bet i have at least a dozen or so projects in the works. if i can afford it i might even be getting another 69 coupe project. originally a 6-cylinder 3 speed car, if i can find a late 5.0/5 speed car cheap enough i plan on converting it over, but i think i will be keeping it carb'd. probably do a cable clutch conversion, front discs, maybe even a chepie style rack and pinion, i'll keep everyone posted on what happens with that. i will be looking to sell that one when i am done to help fund the GT resto. keep us posted on the cobra :nice:

Morning All,

Wow, more great comments! I am really suprised by all of this, really!

As for the 88, it is my donor vehicle, but I am not using the Fuel injection. Anybody want it out there? Price is VERY cheap, but you remove it. (or trade for an 8.8 3.55 or 3.73 5-lug rear....)

chepsk8 said:
Morning All,

Wow, more great comments! I am really suprised by all of this, really!

As for the 88, it is my donor vehicle, but I am not using the Fuel injection. Anybody want it out there? Price is VERY cheap, but you remove it. (or trade for an 8.8 3.55 or 3.73 5-lug rear....)

Do you have a T-5 or did was that the source of your AOD? Let me know.

chepsk8 said:
Yes, the sale was unexpected for me to, the buyer was referred to me by another 69 'Vert owner, so I actually had to do very little selling work. I was dreading a possible e-bay or other on-line selling hassle.
***cough***commision***cough***(j/k)

So am I the only one not surprised then? :rolleyes: Congrats man, glad it payed off! Can't wait to follow along the next one (especially if it ends up being the Deceiver II, unless I beat you too it ;) ). I just wished we'd had the opportunity to photo them together. :(

[evil voice on] Muuuhahahahaha, my plan to be the one and only 69' vert on the board is finally coming true. Muuuhahahahaha [/evil voice off]
:( Actually it's lonely at the top.