Choosing The Right Supercharger

1993 Notchback

Aug 11, 2015
Hello friend,
I have a 1993 Notch back with Comp Cams and Edelbrock performer RPM Heads. I was wondering what your thoughts are on selecting the best supercharger. Also is is important to buy new or can a trust a used kit?

• Sponsors (?)

idk i dont :leghump: with superchargers. i think they make the engine life go way down. id just get a cobra intake for it with 34 lb injectors and clean and polish the intake ports and youll gain some easy good hp there. if i did want a supercharger id get stronger internal parts and rebuild engine then id slap a decent super on there.

idk i dont **** with superchargers. i think they make the engine life go way down. id just get a cobra intake for it with 34 lb injectors and clean and polish the intake ports and youll gain some easy good hp there. if i did want a supercharger id get stronger internal parts and rebuild engine then id slap a decent super on there.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but there is no reason to be giving out false information here.
- Using the word "think" with NO factual evidence to back it up will not help anyone here.
- What does 'go way down' even mean?
- Why a cobra intake? You need something that will keep up with those heads. Will a cobra intake do that?
- What's a 34# injector?
- Polishing intake ports will give you - 0 - gain in any area, other than wasting time.
- In most cases, the stock internals are stronger than the stock block, so why put good parts into a fragile case?

Again, I'm not trying to be mean here, but giving out false information isn't going to help anyone. @84Ttop is the most trusted source for superchargers around here in both knowledge and sales.

Last edited:
If you clean the intake ports it will give you little gain..... Look it up, the more smoother the air goes into the engine the better you are, sand them down and then use real fine grit and I'll get better air

If you clean the intake ports it will give you little gain..... Look it up, the more smoother the air goes into the engine the better you are, sand them down and then use real fine grit and I'll get better air

Air flow at the wall of a pipe is 0. Please do some research on laminar flow through a pipe and then come talk to me. Physics will always trump fuzzy logic.

If you feel like you need to polish something, polish the combustion chambers.

Reactions: 1 user
"The reason that polished ports are not advantageous from a flow standpoint is that at the interface between the metal wall and the air, the air speed is ZERO (seeboundary layer and laminar flow). This is due to the wetting action of the air and indeed all fluids. The first layer of molecules adheres to the wall and does not move significantly. The rest of the flow field must shear past, which develops a velocity profile (or gradient) across the duct. For surface roughness to impact flow appreciably, the high spots must be high enough to protrude into the faster moving air toward the center. Only a very rough surface does this."

Velocity_profile.GIF
A developed velocity profile in a duct that shows why polished surfaces have little effect on flow. The air speed at the wall interface is zero regardless of how smooth it is.

Cobra intakes will make more air
Cobra intake? You did see that he has Edelbrock aluminum heads right? Besides a person that already has a comp cam and aluminum heads most likely already has an aftermarket intake and larger injectors.

idk i dont **** with superchargers.
Just stop right there and say no more please.

Agreed that 84Ttop has the highest IQ around here on superchargers. But this thread was created several weeks ago and the OP has gone missing ever since so it's probably a waste of time.

Most likely, but it's still worth the effort to kill any misinformation that someone stumbles in and vomits out.
Absolutely true. It was directed more toward Nick not needing to chime in about superchargers since the OP has clearly lost interest and any SC advice would be a waste.

Anyways. I wonder how bad casting would have to be on an intake to have an adverse effect on air flow. Having a semi smooth, yet not polished, walls would keep air from becoming turbulent.

Absolutely true. It was directed more toward Nick not needing to chime in about superchargers since the OP has clearly lost interest and any SC advice would be a waste.

Anyways. I wonder how bad casting would have to be on an intake to have an adverse effect on air flow. Having a semi smooth, yet not polished, walls would keep air from becoming turbulent.
I haven't made it to that chapter of head porting yet. That must be the 102 class :O_o:

Hello friend,
I have a 1993 Notch back with Comp Cams and Edelbrock performer RPM Heads. I was wondering what your thoughts are on selecting the best supercharger. Also is is important to buy new or can a trust a used kit?
Do yourself a favor and buy new, Vortech/Paxton kits carry a 3 year warranty on the blower itself and will offer years and years of service far beyond that. As far as choosing a kit, what are you HP or ET goals? Is this a daily driver, weekend warrior or car that you will race regularly? What other than Heads/Cam have been modified on the car?

idk i dont **** with superchargers. i think they make the engine life go way down. id just get a cobra intake for it with 34 lb injectors and clean and polish the intake ports and youll gain some easy good hp there. if i did want a supercharger id get stronger internal parts and rebuild engine then id slap a decent super on there.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet folks...

Reactions: 1 user
Debating smooth taco shells vs textured taco shells. I like textured for grip, don't wanna drop your taco!!
If you're that worried about loosing your grip than you should tie it to a rope... Think "soap on a rope" not that I know anything about that:shrug:
Go for the crunch wrap... problem solved! You're welcome