Chrome shorties

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, I got chrome because I love the look of the "burnt" pipes, but the damn things started to rust in less than a year, and I never even drive it in the rain. My chrome ones are BBK, I don't know if more expensive companies' chrome headers would fail so quickly. I don't think there is any performance advantage to ceramic, other than they stay prettier longer and maybe your starter won't die so quickly from heat soak.

My chrome BBKs blued pretty quickly and then started to rust some. So I sold them and picked up a set of FRPP ceramic coated headers off ebay for almost what I paid for the BBKs. The deals are out there but you just have to look for them and be patient

Get Ceramic

Here are my "chrome" BBK's :nonono:

Get the FMS ceramic shorty's. They are a damn good header that swear was made by the hand of God Himself

Attachments

• DSC00216.jpg
    DSC00216.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 90
I agree with the others as far as getting ceramic.

And there are some benefits to the ceramics other than appearance. They will reduce underhood temps a bit and aid in exhaust flow. Just make sure you get them coated inside and outside. The coating keeps the exhaust gases hot. This allows them to travel out of the headers quicker aiding in exhaust gas flow. As exhaust gases heat up, they expand and subsequently slow down through the exhaust. The ceramic coating insulates the headers keeping the heat INSIDE the tubes.

So, not only do they look nicer for much longer, there is a performance benefit.

I agree with the others as far as getting ceramic.

And there are some benefits to the ceramics other than appearance. They will reduce underhood temps a bit and aid in exhaust flow. Just make sure you get them coated inside and outside. The coating keeps the exhaust gases hot. This allows them to travel out of the headers quicker aiding in exhaust gas flow. As exhaust gases heat up, they expand and subsequently slow down through the exhaust. The ceramic coating insulates the headers keeping the heat INSIDE the tubes.

So, not only do they look nicer for much longer, there is a performance benefit.

good point, this slight power gain is from pulling the gases out of the cumbustion chamber faster (scavenging) and gives a more complete burn, the drag racing pro's who build big HP get the bigger bennies out of this but the smaller motors also get some gain. remember not all shorties are built the same or even long tubes stay away from no names(ebay no namers) that cost like $100 or less for coated headers junk....if collectors are built cheap where the tubes come together they will allow exhaust gases to get sucked back into motor on the other exhaust pulse and rob alot of power( the more expensive headers like JBA and Kooks go alittle further to prevent this and I learned about this deal from talking with them). I would stay with BBK, Ford racing like the others mentioned.

What if you already have headers, can you ceramicote them?

I just bought brand new BBK chrome shorties, I don't feel like selling them so i'll use em until they rust then pull em and coat them?

Jet hot, same company the ford racing, JBA, Kooks, etc use. They are are great people to deal with , i used them to coat my headers and y-pipe on my contour.

JETHOT The Hottest Header Coatings! Jet-Hot, jet coat, hot jet, headers, coatings, sterling,Header coating, Ceramic coating, corrosion protection, Metallic Ceramic Coatings, MCCI, metallic ceramic, exhaust coating, performance coating, temperature re