Clarification need on rumors i heard about the 03 cobra

Jun 10, 2005
Clarification needed on rumors i heard about the 03 cobra

I heard from a mustang buddy that the early 03 cobra's are problem cars. Some dont respond well to mods and various stuff has been known to go wrong with it. I was told that that i should look for 04 and if i looked at a 03 it should be a later 03. He also proceeded to tell me that, the 03 and 04 blocks are built differently. I personally was under the impression that the only difference between the 03 and 04 were merely cosmetic mods and different paint swirls and all that.. Can someone please bring me up to speed and let me know if the statements he told me had any truth what-so-ever? Thanks guys, i appreciate it. :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

image said:
I heard from a mustang buddy that the early 03 cobra's are problem cars. Some dont respond well to mods and various stuff has been known to go wrong with it. I was told that that i should look for 04 and if i looked at a 03 it should be a later 03. He also proceeded to tell me that, the 03 and 04 blocks are built differently. I personally was under the impression that the only difference between the 03 and 04 were merely cosmetic mods and different paint swirls and all that.. Can someone please bring me up to speed and let me know if the statements he told me had any truth what-so-ever? Thanks guys, i appreciate it. :SNSign:
The only major problem with the first run '03 that was not a problem on the '04 was a tick in the drivers side head. The tick did not affect engine performance though, it was just a nuisance.

99% of the people who have problems with their 03 or 04 not responding to mods was/is all in the tune and not the cars fault.

There are no mechanical differences between the 03 & 04. Your friend is giving you some bad info dude...

U.M.

My car was made in August 02. No tick, no other reported issues. As for responding to mods? well, with exhaust, intake and a safe tune, my car made an additional 55rwhp.

The engines were assembled on the same line, with the same parts (except the revised head in 03).

The paint process has not changed from year to year, and early 03's had a cargo net, no child restraint tiedowns and separate climate controls in the console vents, while the 04's had the dark alcantra inserts.

It's all good man. Im going back up to the place to pick up the 03 cobra today. :) It already has a ported blower, smaller pulley, short throw shifter, and magnaflow exhaust. I drove it yesterday and OMG what a pleasure it was. Those cars ain't no joke. It scared the **** out of me and i didn't even floor it. I guess you could say I was being "consevative". :)

image said:
It's all good man. Im going back up to the place to pick up the 03 cobra today. :) It already has a ported blower, smaller pulley, short throw shifter, and magnaflow exhaust. I drove it yesterday and OMG what a pleasure it was. Those cars ain't no joke. It scared the **** out of me and i didn't even floor it. I guess you could say I was being "consevative". :)
Look the car over real well and listen to the motor as best you can. I'm always leary when someone purchases an 03/04 that has had extensive mods performed. I don't suppose you know the previous owner do you?

U.M.

Definitly some bad info.
I do know someone how had the cylinder head tick on his 03 Cobra
and the Dealership replaced his drivers side head and valve cover
for free under his warranty.

Uncle Meat said:
Look the car over real well and listen to the motor as best you can. I'm always leary when someone purchases an 03/04 that has had extensive mods performed. I don't suppose you know the previous owner do you?

U.M.
I found the owner.. He owns a tuner shop by my uncle's house. My buddy gets his car tuned by him. He is a great guy. I really couldnt ask for a better cobra. Im happy! :nice: