clatter sound/ticking pics inside

Bill9000

Oct 15, 2004
'98 Cobra - Engine clatter - PICS inside

hey everyone...

got an interesting thing here, I've got a clatter/ticking sound...

I saw another thread to this effect, and here's what I have done, and have a question about! (maybe someone else has heard of this)

the ticking happens and can be heard clearly at idle, and during driving from 3,000 rpm up (windows up) with windows down or radio on, it's too quiet to hear.

nonetheless, any clatter sound coming from an ending bothers me!

I have taken a 1x2 piece of wood to use as a stethoscope, to listen to different parts of the engine one end to my ear, one end on the engine somewhere....

on the valve covers, it makes a "whirring noise" through the wood, but on this piece: the belt tensioner... it's a really loud clatter sound (making me think this is the problem) however, I dont notice the tensioner flopping around or anything to indicate it being worn or loose...

attached pics of where I was listening....

if anyone has any ideas/help as to this ticking sound! it'd be a big help to me and hopefully to others!

basically what I am asking is, can this really be the cause of the clatter noise, or might it be something else!?

engine.jpg

closeup.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

How many miles are on the engine?

As long as it isn't rod knock or something more serious (ie - internal), then maybe it is the tensioner.

Is your HVAC fan motor running while you are hearing this noise? Are you sure it isn't the A/C compressor engaging/kicking on and off?

Keep in mind that the tensioner is 9 years old - it probably wouldn't hurt to get a part price quote and replace it, if needed. Run a compression/leakdown test to make sure everything inside is healthy first prior to replacing anything though...g'luck.

How many miles are on the engine?

As long as it isn't rod knock or something more serious (ie - internal), then maybe it is the tensioner.

Is your HVAC fan motor running while you are hearing this noise? Are you sure it isn't the A/C compressor engaging/kicking on and off?

Keep in mind that the tensioner is 9 years old - it probably wouldn't hurt to get a part price quote and replace it, if needed. Run a compression/leakdown test to make sure everything inside is healthy first prior to replacing anything though...g'luck.
thank you for the reply, the car has 60,000 miles... and I don't believe it's the a/c, it's a ticking that goes with the rpm of the engine.... I cant hear the noise from 1,000 RPM to 3,000, but hear it 3,000 and up, and I hear it idling (I hear it at idle the most)
thanks for the help!!!!!!! basically I have never heard of a tensioner making noise like that before...