huudoo

Jul 25, 2006
Knoxville TN
1st i did a search and did not find a post
(( Clatter - Ticking @ StartUp ))
I just bought a 2004 GT with 4.6, 25,000 miles
when i first start the engine, i hear a ticking from
top of the motor, like the lifters , it goes away when the oil
pressure comes up, 1 sec maybe 2 sec u can hear it.
Sounds like when u first chang the oil and start the engine,

it will do it when >>cold or hot << sometimes it don't
do it at all. someone a Tech @ ford told me it might be
the timing chain tensioners seals leaking the oil
down to the crank case,
i have heard this on several mustangs
anyone else have this issue-
i use5-w20 motorcraft oil and filter
is this a ford thing.

• Sponsors (?)

Could be an exhaust leak. Maybe your hearing the injectors ticking?

You could try running 5w-30 oil. That would be a better choice with this hot a$$ weather anyway.

If it is the lifters, consider yourself lucky. It's not that big of deal and you'd be better off leaving the car alone. C'mon....we drive Fords :rlaugh:

5w30 wont make a difference on startup. 5w20 and 5w30 are the same weight when cold. the 5 being the weight at 32 degrees F, the w stands for winter (cold weight) and the 20 or 30 is the weight hot.

its normal on almost every 4.6 to do that. change the oil and filter and see if that does anything. i wouldnt worry about it.

mine does that as well... it started at around 33k miles, it hasn't done it recently though, mines more of a clatter like theres no oil in the heads kind of like when you change the oil. I really don't want to take it to my local Ford dealer considering everytime I do they F*** it up even more. Are you guys sure this is normal? Also, Im using a fram oil filter, A few guys told me I should stick with motorcraft, is this true?

go to a motorcraft filter, dump that fram crap. the frams are literally the lowest quality filters made. i use either Motorcraft or Purolater on my car, but i would also use Wix, NAPA Gold, Amsoil or any other filter thats made my Purolator.

You know what would be cool? An engine sound flow chart for diagnoses with clickable graphics and sound file examples of various engine sounds.

Could do it for exhaust also...

Thanks for the input,
what about the seals / O ring leaking behind the
timing chain tensioners
a Tech @ ford told me it might be the seals / o ring leaking the oil
down to the crank case,
anyone ever heard of this.

yo, i have heard of that and fixed many of them. what happens is the tensioner for the chain is run by oil pressure. when the car is shut off and sits for awhile the tensioner loses pressure untill you start car and build pressure again. it take s a second or two to get it tight again. fram filters do suck, but that wont give you a knock!!!:nonono: it is pretty costly to get done because it involves getting to the timing chain. so i wouldnt worry about it if i was you unless it gets really bad. it is not really hurting anything if it only does it for one sec or so. if you do get it fixed make sure you get a new chain put on as well since they are in there anyways. gl:SNSign:

Yes indeed all Fram products are crap.
I used a Fram oil filter before and right after I changed
my engine oil right after I started my car up to check
for leaks oil was leaking from the Fram oil filter gasket.
I would stick with Motorcraft oil filters.

You can check to see if it is your timing chain tensioners. Get in like you are going to start your car but before you turn the key press your gas pedal all the way down and hold it. With the gas pedal down turn the key to start your car and hold it until your oil pressure comes up. Then turn off your key and try to start your car normally. If you have the gas pedal pressed all the way down when you try to start it it won't crank over so don't worry about that. What this does is build up your oil pressure, in return "pumping" up your tensioners. If it doesn't tick when you try to start afterwards then that is probably the problem.

Change your oil and it will probably go away. The previous owner probably put some snake oil "oil conditioner" in the engine. This crap must thin the oil out or something, because I have seen this exact thing happen before. I've been through this before. I had a small oil leak, so I put some sort of "cure all" additive. The car started ticking at startup, then started knocking. I thought "great, I just totally f'd up my engine". Changed the oil and everything was fine after that.