Cleaning a shortblock

RYC CUKR

Founding Member
May 19, 2002
Orlando
So I finally got a good deal on a 347 so I went to pay for and pick it up today. I wrapped it up in plastic put it in the back of my truck and went home. Well unknown to me the plastic came undone on the way home so now there is some dirt and stuff on the pistons, in the bores and on the bottom end. What is the best way to clean it up. I would prefer not to disassemble the short block but if I have to I will. I was wondering if something like TB cleaner or something similar would work.

I picked up a CHP 347, 12cc dished forged pistons, head studs, Main girdle, 9 way FRPP timing chain, new roller lifters, new front cover and full gasket set for $1100. The engine has around 8k on it. I figured it was a pretty decent deal and since it was local I didn't have to worry about shipping it.

I want to get it cleaned, and then bolt a set of old heads, intake, front cover and oil pan on just to seal it up and keep it from getting anything in it until I get a set of heads and a cam for it.

• Sponsors (?)

an air compressor and a blow gun are your friend. Shop vac is a good first pass tool as well. I would use a little light oil (wd 40 or similar) and cycle the pistons by hand and let the rings push the crud to the top and wipe clean.