cleaning and waxing 18" polished aluminum wheels

asburydan

Oct 6, 2000
Calabash, NC
I bought a can of Meguiar's "Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum Polish with a photo of a polished wheel on the top. Got it home, fully read the back, and found the following: "Not recommentded for gold plating, anodized, painted or clear coated aluminum wheels." I don't think my wheels fall into those categories, but wanted to check with you before using on my wheels on my '09 GT. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Call from Ford

I got a follow-up call from research folks at Ford to my question to Ford's customer care. They said they checked with the manufacturer, and the 18" polished aluminum wheels are clear coated.

I also have the 18'" polished aluminum wheels on my 2012 GT Premium.

I bought this (http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g14324-hot-rimsreg-aluminum-wheel-cleaner/) which says,
"Hot Rims™ Aluminum Wheel Cleaner is the ultra-safe solution for cleaning uncoated aluminum. Guaranteed safe for uncoated and polished aluminum wheels as well as anodized and powder-coated wheel surfaces – it’s even safe on all brake components."

So, I guess I'm glad I haven't actually had a chance to use it yet.

If I should only use soap and water, what type of soap is OK?
I currently use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner for the rest of the car. Is it also OK for clear coated wheels?

Yes, that will work just fine for your wheels. Just do them last or use a seperate bucket/mitt/etc to wash them. Otherwise, all that junk that comes off (brake dust/etc) will end up on your car, which you don't want.