Cleaning Engine Bay

5.0 Nostalgia

10 Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
CT
Just wanted to know how you guys clean your engine bay. In the past, I have always used water and Simple Green on my 5.0s. They always seem to run poorly for a couple days after though, even though I cover the distributor. Does anybody have any tips for cleaning the engine bay on my Cobra? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

COBRA90GT said:
Do NOT use a high pressure washer on the engine bay or you will probably get water down in the sparkplug holes (ie - rust) and/or damage a coil.

I prefer to use Simple Green, a wet rag, and some 'old fashioned elbow grease.

Same, I also use Armour All as well

I use the Greased Lightning engine degreaser first (works great, it gets all the dirt & everything even on the hard to reach spots) then I hose off the degreaser & spray the entire engine bay with armor all, after that I just shut the hood & let it dry. Then after about 30 minutes to an hour I open the hood & if there's any excess armor all I just wipe it off with a paper towel, the results are great!

Thanks for the info. Do you cover anything before using the hose? I covered the alternator and coils on my 96 when I washed it. On the fox, I cover the alternator and distributor.

I wash my engine at the local pressure wash with the engine degreaser at least 2-3 times a year for the last 4 years and have not had any rust or problems. I do this with all my vehicles, but simple green, and a hose will be fine, just a little more work. Also I dont cover anything, but thats just me.

Grease Lighting is awesome! Might need to use a tooth brush or something small for the tight areas. Otherwise a normal rubdown with a spunge and grease lightning is perfect for the job. Also have a spray bottle like the grease lightning bottle and fill it with water so you can spray around parts that can't get wet. You have alot more control of the water this way, better then a hose. After your done cleaning, use some Armor All tire foam and spray the entire engine. It will look so freakin good. :nice:

5.0 Nostalgia said:
Thanks for the info. Do you cover anything before using the hose? I covered the alternator and coils on my 96 when I washed it. On the fox, I cover the alternator and distributor.

Yep, I cover the air filter & coil pack on my car. Also, if you have a metal/aluminum cold air intake on your car I suggest taking it off & covering around the throttle body. The Greased Lightning Engine Degreaser made my cai milky looking after using the degreaser and wouldn't rub off so I had to go buy some polish to get it off.