Cleaning gasket surfaces?!!!

latham83

Jul 24, 2003
Hey im going to be scraping and cleaning the surfaces of the head gaskets, and the lower manifold to the block gasket surfaces..
what do u recommend to scrap and clean the surface with?
also..when installing my new heads and lower intake...i know u are to use rtv sealent for the front and back of intake..and then just use the plain gaskets for the sides right? also when the heads go on..do u just use the gaskets and no lube anywhere ? or do u use some on the gasket or the bolts ..i need 2 to know caus ei have no idea

• Sponsors (?)

Scotch brite is what I usually use, but be very carefull on the aluminum. Use a good bead of RTV on the front and back of the intake, not the cork things, and use alittle RTV around the water passages on the intake gaskets. Use the plain gaskets on the sides, I always use Felpros. The head gaskets don't need anything on them, or at least I never used anything on them, just make sure you have them on the right way.

Scrape off as much of the gasket as possible using a gasket scrapping tool. Be Very careful not to nick or score the surface. Take your time! Any remaining residue can be removed with Acetone. You can get Acetone at any Home Improvment center for about $12.00 a quart. Put some acetone on a clean lint free rag or disposable shop towel and rub off any remaining gasket adhessive or RTV sealer. The acetone is powerful stuff so don't over do it. You don't need much on the rag. Just keep replacing the rags often so you don't leave traces of lint or paper on your gasket surface.

nope, don't use anything on the head gaskets. i'd get a good set of felpros. also I would consider a new set of head bolts. as for the intake it have you ever used gasket remover from permatex? it works great at removing gaskets. also, use some carb cleaner or laquer thinner and remove all traces of oil from the mating surfaces before installing the heads or intake. and on the intake use some high tak to hold the intake gaskets to the heads. use a little rtv around the water passages on the intake side of the gasket and install the intake. hope that helps out. anymore questions just ask

Get a single edge razor blade scraper: it holds the blade in a easy to use quick change handle. Get a spare pack of blades, youll need them. I got mine at Advance Auto Parts, but Home Depot or Ace hardware will probably have the same thing.

Acetone usually goes for less than $4 a quart at Home Depot, $12.00 a quart must be a typo.

Yeah... what they said.. I use "Brake cleaner" to clean up all the parts after the gaskets are removed!! Lube the head bolts and dont forget to wipe out the cylinders and put a little oil in there while the heads are off... antifreeze in the cylinders will rust the mess out them!!

Have fun...

Just me........................

Thumper

use a razor to get all the gasket off, dont worry about nicking it with a razor, it didnt happen to me. use 1500-2000 grit sand paper and wet sand it with wd40... smooth as silk. depending on the year of your car, i think it is 92-on is torqued to yeild. so get new head bolts if so, anything less than that you dont need new head bolts. double check this im just trying to save you money. there should be water jacket bolts that have allitle bit of sealant on them from the factory, go ahead and double coat it with rtv. soak the other bolts in oil. should be just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Felpro 1250 are some good gaskets to use because they have the metal o ring around each cylinder. Also make sure you put the gaksets down right, sounds dumb but it's easy to do! Front facing the front of the engine and with the words facing up. My friend put his on backwards and to this day can't understand why his car runs so hot, eventhough I explained to him his head gaskets are on backwards. He will find out sooner or later and for the time being he runs two fans.

I use an old chisel about an inch wide I picked up from a pawn shop.I sharpen it on a flat stone and then slightly round the outer edges so it won't scratch.Just before I install the parts I use brake cleaner to remove any traces of oil.