Cleaning K&N Filter

• Sponsors (?)

I have one in my motorcycle. It turns a lighter red(wouldn't call it pink) after it dries from being hosed out(always from inside to out) then you spray it real good with the oil before reinstalling it.

I have one in my motorcycle. It turns a lighter red(wouldn't call it pink) after it dries from being hosed out(always from inside to out) then you spray it real good with the oil before reinstalling it.

Thanks, if it has debris in it do you just use a soft brush or something to get it all out? I am feeling like buying a new filter each time is a lot easier.

i know there will be neg. response to this,but the dirter it gets, the better it works.just tap it with something and get the loose dirt out of it.there are dyno test of this going back a few years to prove it.i knock the dirt out of mine every few months and it does the job very well.i live in phoenix and it's always disty here.

Why negative response to not cleaning it? The way these air filters flow more than stock replacement filters is because they have larger holes in the filter surface. The stock ones actually trap smalller particles(making them more restrictive).

Also, just a note to be careful and not over oil the filter after you clean it. Just make sure the entire surface has been sprayed, but be sparing in how much you spray on. Too much oil can cause some of it to get into the air stream and eventually coat the MAF sensor. The filter does not need a lot of oil to do its job.

Also, just a note to be careful and not over oil the filter after you clean it. Just make sure the entire surface has been sprayed, but be sparing in how much you spray on. Too much oil can cause some of it to get into the air stream and eventually coat the MAF sensor. The filter does not need a lot of oil to do its job.

Absolutely correct. If you over oil the filter car will run like sh.....t. Had to clean it a second time. It was like the car was being smothered.

Simple process. Blow all dirt and debris off of filter. Get a nice spackle bucket full of soapy water. Put filter in and clean filter. Let filter dry. Then LIGHTLY apply oil to filter. You only need a lil, the oil is gonna eventually seep in and what looked like a lil should handle the whole filter. Then let air filter sit for an hour or 2. Then put it back in car.

Simple process. Blow all dirt and debris off of filter. Get a nice spackle bucket full of soapy water. Put filter in and clean filter. Let filter dry. Then LIGHTLY apply oil to filter. You only need a lil, the oil is gonna eventually seep in and what looked like a lil should handle the whole filter. Then let air filter sit for an hour or 2. Then put it back in car.

Thank you but i would think that immersing the entire filter underwater would be a bad idea. This would allow dirt and debris to flow freely through the water and accumulate on the clean side of the filter, no?