Cleaning Polished Wheels?

Ethereal Zer0

Founding Member
Sep 26, 2002
Everett, WA
I just bought some Polished Cobra R's but they are fairly dirty, anyone have any ideas on how to clean them up? I have tried washing them with soap and water, using an aluminum wheel cleaner (spray on), and also Mother's Aluminum Polish. The wheel cleaner and the polish seemed to help a little, but I wish the wheels were cleaner. They almost look like they are stained with something :shrug: Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Buy the jar of Mothers Billet aluminum polish. It worked alot better for my polished wheels than the regular aluminum polish. I have marks in my brand new wheels too. It seems that the aluminum is just too soft and absorbs dirt/brake dust, etc and it is extremely difficult to remove once it's embedded.

probably the only way is to get a buffing wheel and come white rouge compound and go back over the rim. Shouldnt be hard since it was allready polished before. You might want to use tripoli then white rouge...

jtkz13 said:
Buy the jar of Mothers Billet aluminum polish. It worked alot better for my polished wheels than the regular aluminum polish. I have marks in my brand new wheels too. It seems that the aluminum is just too soft and absorbs dirt/brake dust, etc and it is extremely difficult to remove once it's embedded.

I agree use the Mothers Billet, it's way more expensive than the others, but much better. I just needed a major repolish and tried 3 different types around the wheel. The mothers was way better and took off some dirt and marks the others wouldn't. I also recommend to use an aluminum wheel cleaner (acid based). I used some made by Castrol I think, that really got most of the grime off. It basicaly strips them down, their very dull and nasty looking at first then get ready to polish till your arm falls off.
A little Before and After attached.......................

Attachments

• Wheels.jpg
    Wheels.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Wheels2.jpg
    Wheels2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 122
Awesome, I was actually looking at some castrol stuff the other day (that sounds like the same stuff) I think I will try that. lol polishing until my arm falls off isnt a problem, I just get drunk and get cleaning! :D

This is gonna sound stupid but I have a lot of experience polishing up ****, I had to restore a VW beetle and had to make those bigass chrome bumpers look nice. The best **** I have ever used (even that mother billet polish) is brass polish for silverware... I know I know it doesnt sound like it works but it really does, you just gotta keep workin at it and it really brings out the shine, worked on my friends yellowed out stock headlites too, have no idea why, but it does

Reactions: 1 user
White rouge/Tripoli sounds good to me.

I work at my dad's jewelry store, and that is exactly what we used to make silver braclets/rings/charms/etc shine like chrome. It is a very fine polish, so it will take a lot of time if you only use that.

I can't remember what compound we used for getting the rougher stuff out. That takes out all the scratches much quicker. BAH, can't remember. We always said "hey, pass me the rough".

If I think of it, I will let you know.
Scott