Paint and Body Cleaning/protecting Plastic And Rubber

stang89bidges

Advanced Member
Mar 14, 2014
Fort Worth Texas
What does everyone use on the outside, less discussed, components of your stang? Things like the plastic cowl vent, bumpers(especially those with the GT ground effects), mirrors, door trim, the rubber window trim, windshield wipers, emblems, brake lights, antennae, sunroof/t-tops(rubber/seals/trim)?

2 aspects

1. What products and methods do you use to restore worn out items mentioned above.
2. After restored, what products and methods do you use to clean and protect these same components?

I have been using Mothers products for a long time, but am just now starting to look at their full line of products and they have a lot of products. I'm wondering for our foxes being a lot of plastic(painted I might add) which of these types of products are going to work, what is harmful, and what is overkill/useless.

• Sponsors (?)

I just hand wash the trim. I've never used any other products on the trim. As far as any body color painted items just use your traditional products. Afterall it's paint.

I actually prefer the duplicolor trim paint over the sem it seems to lay much much nicer

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

I actually prefer the duplicolor trim paint over the sem it seems to lay much much nicer

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate
I've had identical results with both. I would go with whatever was easiest to get a hold of that day.

My black plastic trim that's in good shape gets STP Son of A Gun or Lucas Slickmist (depending on where it is on the vehicle).

If it needs to be freshened up, there's nothing that beats Mothers Back To Black, but it WILL leave it feeling greasy.

I just hand wash the trim. I've never used any other products on the trim. As far as any body color painted items just use your traditional products. Afterall it's paint.
Sorry to revive an old thread....and possibly sound like an idiot. But, I have the titanium painted ground effects that could use some TLC for sure. You're saying just polish/wax with the same that use for the top paint?
ETA: I do know that it's not supposed to be glossy or shiny. It just has some very dingy looking spots and a few scratches. And, just a few tiny spots at the back where teh yellow plastic is coming through. I am mainly concerned and protecting and preserving what is there.

Last edited: