cleaning up

izzy jr

Jul 18, 2005
Abilene,TX
While I'm waitin for my brake lines for the car I thought I might as well start cleaning up under the car. Any one have any suggestions on getting all the tar,mud,grit and road crime out of the wheel wells? It's caked up on there pretty thick a few places I knocked off was about two inches thick :eek:

• Sponsors (?)

Okay that's what i was thinking the old fashioned elbow grease. And no I haven't been offroading, I haven't even gotten to drive the car since I bought it. Tryin to fix the brakes, then rebuild the shifter and carb since it leaks fuel onto the intake before I can even think about driving it.

You can buy a disc at Walmart or other stores that hooks to a drill. I think it's a 3M product and looks kinda like a sponge and I think it's purplish looking. Works pretty good for getting crud off.

You can buy a disc at Walmart or other stores that hooks to a drill. I think it's a 3M product and looks kinda like a sponge and I think it's purplish looking. Works pretty good for getting crud off.

yeah, that's what I was thinking of using to start with to knock off the major stuff then use a wire brush or sand paper and sanding block.

What do you guys recommend to use to treat any rust areas and to protect the metal after stripping it down?

Do not start with a 3M clean and strip wheel.

Start with a scraper and a wire brush to knock off the big pieces.

I just got done with this on a rotissere. This is a dirty and thankless job which is absolutely miserable - and that was with a rotissere. I tried to do it without one and I couldn't work more than two hours before my arms hurt so bad I thought they were going to fall off from working on my back at odd angles.

Also, do one of two square feet at a time. Any more than that you miss big parts and don't do a good job.

Good luck.

I just got done striping and repainting all four wheel wells on mine. I didn't have too much dirt and grime, just 40 year old undercoating mainly. I used Peel Away7 that I had read about on here. It's a non-toxic striping material that I beleive is meant for furniture. It worked great! Still had to use a wire wheel to get them down to bare metal but the Peel Away7 saved tons of elbow grease! It's definately a nasty hateful job but really worth it in the end. Good luck!