Clear bra installation questions

shadango

May 13, 2011
Hi folks....pretty new to the forum...

My wife just bought a SWEEEEEET '11 v6 Mustang and we love it so far.

Amazing how much power in that motor!

Anyways, we got our first rock chip recently and are thinking about getting the "clear bra"....looks like clear window tint.

The question is, can this be a DIY job?

The local Zeibart wants $800 to do it.

We found the kits online for about $300.

I have installed window tint once or twice and do a lot of my own mechanical work myself (I have a 72 Plymouth Barracuda that is my pride and joy and project car).....

Hate to spend $500 on LABOR , but will if this job is a nightmare to do.

The 3M site (I think) says about an hour to install.

We saw a Vette at a local car cruise with a clear bra but that is the only car I recall ever seeing it on.....

Any thoughts? Anyone have the stuff on their Mustang? Is it worth installing?

• Sponsors (?)

Thoughts:

Definitely worth doing!

From my understanding, its a PITA!!! The idea and process seems relatively simple, but from what I understand, if not done properly and correctly, it can become a mess. I believe it has to do with attention to detail, technique and experience.

I paid $500 for mine and it took the guy 2+ hours to complete. Shop around and even contact the dealer - they often have recommended vendors for things like this.

Thanks....

Yeah, I would splurge for $200 labor.......But Ziebart is looking for $500 labor!

I will shop around and see what I can dig up....

Do you know what brand film is on yours?

I was curious as to how they do the bumpers on the Mustangs since there are so many compound curves and such....the kits are pre cut, but still, looks like it could be fun....(not)....

I had my GT/CS done the next day after delivery. A must especially with a black car. Had it done professionally. $600 and worth it. If you have ever tried it is a PITA. Once you screw up a portion it is ruined and will never look correct or stick. The vinyl, 3M or different brand will stretch if not done correct first time. The curves and seams are difficult even for a pro. Don't throw out the cost of the kit and then have to do it over or worse-have to look at a crap job every time you go into the garage. Oh, and btw, everything is negotiable. Shop quoted 8bills. I said how bout 5. They said ok-600.

Thanks....

Yeah, I would splurge for $200 labor.......But Ziebart is looking for $500 labor!

I will shop around and see what I can dig up....

Do you know what brand film is on yours?

I was curious as to how they do the bumpers on the Mustangs since there are so many compound curves and such....the kits are pre cut, but still, looks like it could be fun....(not)....

3M film was used on mine. And I think it was all the curves/notches/contours that required the guy to take so much time - not something you want to rush.

Shop around and even contact the dealer - they often have recommended vendors for things like this.

I'd call the dealer but it wont likely net anything...

I contacted a couple dealers about having sirius added to the car (we bought it out of state) and we are seeing very very poor response back. Even thedealer we bought it from, now that they have the sale, poor response back.

Emails and phone calls go unanswered.....two different dealers....what, do we have the plague? LOL

Hi shadango,

I apologize for the dealer's lack of communication with you since the sale was completed. I am sure you do not have the plague, so they should have returned your phone calls and emails. :) Your best option for an answer on SIRIUS is to contact them at 1-888-539-7474. You may need to provide your Satellite Electronic Serial Number (ESN) when contacting SIRIUS Radio. To retrieve your ESN:

For vehicles equipped with the in-dash navigation system:
- Press the "i" button on the navigation screen.
- Select "System Info" and "SIRIUS" from the menu.
- The SIRIUS Radio ESN and Travel Link ESN will display on the navigation screen.

For vehicles without the in-dash navigation system:
- Press the "SIRIUS" and the #1 pre-set buttons on the radio simultaneously and release.
- The SIRIUS Radio ESN will display on the radio message center.
- If further direction is needed, please consult the Electronics selection of your owner's guide or the Navigation supplement, if applicable, for complete details.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

~Natasha

Hi shadango,

I apologize for the dealer's lack of communication with you since the sale was completed. I am sure you do not have the plague, so they should have returned your phone calls and emails. :) Your best option for an answer on SIRIUS is to contact them at 1-888-539-7474. You may need to provide your Satellite Electronic Serial Number (ESN) when contacting SIRIUS Radio. To retrieve your ESN:

For vehicles equipped with the in-dash navigation system:
- Press the "i" button on the navigation screen.
- Select "System Info" and "SIRIUS" from the menu.
- The SIRIUS Radio ESN and Travel Link ESN will display on the navigation screen.

For vehicles without the in-dash navigation system:
- Press the "SIRIUS" and the #1 pre-set buttons on the radio simultaneously and release.
- The SIRIUS Radio ESN will display on the radio message center.
- If further direction is needed, please consult the Electronics selection of your owner's guide or the Navigation supplement, if applicable, for complete details.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

~Natasha

Thanks Natash!

The question we have is if the radio in our car has to be upgraded or what. We thought that the car has a sirius compatible unit but someone told us that all that means is that it can be added to the radio by way of a hardware upgrade.....it has the Satellite button but it is nonfunctional without the upgrade??

The system in our car is the base audio system..the sticker says "sirius compatible" I think....but not "sirius ready"....

If it's a base stereo then it most likely doesn't have the hardware. If there's not an antenna on the trunk then you need some hardware.

Yeah, there isnt, so that is why I figured we would need the hardware add-on.

Just cant seem to get any dealer to give us a cost on that....LOL

Anyone know whats involved in doing that? SOmething someone could do themselves?

AM now has the 3M clear bras for 2005-2009 and 2010-2012 models. Not sure if we can link to it or not but they are under Mustang Parts => Mustang Exterior Parts & Exterior Accessories => Mustang Paint and Headlight Protection Film. The price looks pretty good.

Thanks Natash!

The question we have is if the radio in our car has to be upgraded or what. We thought that the car has a sirius compatible unit but someone told us that all that means is that it can be added to the radio by way of a hardware upgrade.....it has the Satellite button but it is nonfunctional without the upgrade??

The system in our car is the base audio system..the sticker says "sirius compatible" I think....but not "sirius ready"....

Hi shadango,

I have reviewed with my technical expert, and there are no options available from Ford to install SIRIUS. That is why the dealer was unable to provide a cost estimate. I apologize for the lack of contact from them.

~Natasha