clearance issues

50foxbody

Jan 4, 2009
whats the widest wheel and tire that can go on the fron of a 86 fox with stock suspension im having an issue with my 18" cobra r's 255 35 18 im guessing they are a little too wide cuz they are rubbing my front shocks back is clear of everything thanks for any1 help

• Sponsors (?)

I have rubbing problems with my 245/45-17, but my car is lowered with 94-95 spindles. Also, mine rub at full turning lock on the wheel well liner, not the strut. If you are rubbing on the strut then you probably need a wheel with less backspacing or a wheel spacer.

I have rubbing problems with my 245/45-17, but my car is lowered with 94-95 spindles. Also, mine rub at full turning lock on the wheel well liner, not the strut. If you are rubbing on the strut then you probably need a wheel with less backspacing or a wheel spacer.

yea thats what i was affraid of guess im SOL

You'll have to replace more than just the spindles. The brake caliper, rotor and strut are all '86 specific. Maximum Motorsports sells some quality wheel spacers, you should look into that option if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

I believe the 86 cars had the narrower front track, similar to the 4cyl later cars?

Maybe an 87+ 5.0 spindle set up would help. An 18x9 should not hit the strut.

BINGO! :nice:

Interchange with 86 Mustang spindles is as follows:

:Capri '82-86
:Cougar '81 XR-7, from VIN 612449
:Cougar '81 exc. XR-7; green stripe
:Cougar '82-88
:Fairmont '81-83
:Granada '81 green stripe
:Granada '82
:LTD '83-86
:Marquis '83-86
:Mustang '82-83
:Mustang '84-86 4 lug whl
:Mustang '87-93 4 cyl
:Thunderbird '81 from 12/5/80
:Thunderbird '82-86
:Thunderbird '87-88 6 cyl and 8 cyl
:Zephyr '81-83

then 87 Mustang V8 interchanges only with:

:Mustang '87-93 8 cyl
:Thunderbird '87-88 4 cyl (Turbo Coupe)

I believe the 86 cars had the narrower front track, similar to the 4cyl later cars?

Maybe an 87+ 5.0 spindle set up would help. An 18x9 should not hit the strut.

I'm pretty sure you're right...but they also have the smaller wheel openings (as in pre-Pony rim size) so a wider track might get him into the fender if the difference is too much.

I'm pretty sure you're right...but they also have the smaller wheel openings (as in pre-Pony rim size) so a wider track might get him into the fender if the difference is too much.

I was under the impression the fenders were the same, it was the lower apron that changed?

I believe even with the aprons, the 87-90 cars would have the same size wheel opening. You do have some issues (different for all cars) in the apron area with wider tires though.

I think doing an 87-93 spindle swap wouldn't be hard or expensive.