cluster swap

MagnaflowGT

Oct 3, 2004
Ok. Ive gotten down to the wiring and all of doing a V8 conversion. I guess my question is, will the engine work with the cluster from a 4 banger, or do I need to use a v8 cluster. I have both, or will the v8 cluster work with the 4 banger tach wiring?

I dont mean to sound confusing, just havin a bit of trouble wording it. SO to the point, can I use the stock 4 banger tach n cluster to work with the V8 or will I need to use one from a V8?

• Sponsors (?)

there is one plug on the v8 harness that the four banger doesnt have,apparently it controls the ign.sys. cause without it you will not get fire to your coil.(by the way this is part of the dash harness).it is a black plug that is located right beside the brake booster...good luck,wiring,in my opinion is the worst part of the swap.

slow93 said:
good luck,wiring,in my opinion is the worst part of the swap.

I know, I hate it, but its teaching me patience. I have a diagram, so things are going smoothly thus far. But what about the tach. do I need to change the computer for a V8 cluster to work ni a 4 cylinder car. I mean, the speedo im not worried about because i know some V8s had the 85 mph speedo. Its just for the gauges and the tach. I got a car from someone and its lik ehe just put a v8 cluster in, but the only thing that worked was the speedo, and i know why, its just the other cluster parts.

i dont know for sure if you must change the computer,i did on mine because i went with a v8 fuel injected motor instead of carb.Did you change out your dash harness?