Clutch advice for lil' old lady driving a '67 Fastback

Desert Stallion

Founding Member
Aug 5, 2001
Queen Creek, AZ
Well, my aunt's the original owner of a '67 Fastback, and this spring I'll be doing some freshening up on the car, including a new clutch for the Toploader. Question is, I need a clutch that's gentle on the leg, and I've got no experience here. Going to a hydraulic setup is kinda pricey and may be outside the budget of this project, especially since we're also doing a lot of suspension stuff and installing a new sound system.

So who makes a gentle clutch? The 302 is basically stock out of the '68 Galaxy or whatever it came out of, and the car will NEVER see the track... at least not until she sells it to me sometime in the next decade, at which time it might make a pass just to say it's been done.

Thanks all.

• Sponsors (?)

Hello,

hydraulic clutch is the only way to go. You can copy the jmc hydraulic clutch system and buy the parts (cnc cylinders) at your local part store.
Then you have a ricer pedal feel.:)

Markus

I found an article from another site that's a pretty good write-up on the DIY method, so that may be the way to go. Have to see if she's cool with a ricer pedal though, might really mess her up after driving this thing for 40 years with a mechanical linkage.

Replace all the bushings in the factory linkage,this means, everything from the pedal rod under the dash to the clutch fork. Inspect the pedal support bushings for wear, they do not last forever. Install a stock pressure plate and clutch, no reason to do anything else, especially something that will end up biting you on the ass. If she's been happy with it all these years, no reason to change what works. Keep her happy and when she leaves you the car, then do what you want.

If you stay with the mechanical linkage, consider a diaphragm-style pressure plate rather than a 3-finger style. A Centerforce I should be easy on the leg.

my sentiments exactly, the centerforce clutch is much easier on the old leg muscle than the original borg and beck clutch.

also, D.Hearnes advice about changing all the bushings should be abided by as well. in fact i'd change the bushings in the clutch pedal to roller bearings with a kit from www.mustangsteve.com to help even more with better clutch feel.

if you want to ditch the mechanical linkage but don't want the expense of hydraulic setup then look at a cable clutch setup. mustang steve sells those also or there are any number of other vendors that have them too.

I too, have to agree about a Centerforce clutch, but she may not like it for some time after it's installed. They're "grabby" for a week or so after installed. That's why I didn't recommend one. You could get the same result using any diaphram pressure plate with centrifugal weights. Use a stock clutch disc for a softer engagement.

my sentiments exactly, the centerforce clutch is much easier on the old leg muscle than the original borg and beck clutch.

Only, my experience with CF clutches is that they do not like to shift at higher RPMs, due to the weights not allowing the clutch to disengage. Unless something has changed, I'll neve use another centerforce.

Sounds like you have a fairly stock motor. The Centerforce I is perfect for you. I had one behind a 289 HiPo and did not find it grabby at all.

Upgrade to roller bearings in the pedal support (Mustang Steve - $85). Have Opentracker make you a set of Heim-jointed upper and lower clutch rods.

You will be amazed at the difference. As good as hydraulic IMO.