Clutch cable install

Just installed a new clutch cable in my '01 Cobra. I've got a King Cobra clutch and it was engaging too close to the floor, almost impossible to get in gear, so I assumed the cable had stretched a bit from the heavier clutch, which has been in the car since new, almost 50,000 miles ago. I probably could have solved the problem with a firewall adjuster, but I thought what the hell, I'll get a new cable and do a firewall adjuster in the spring. Boy, am I glad I froze my butt off to get that job done, cause I took the cable out to find that the cable had busted a couple threads near the quadrant end and was holding together by 2 main weaves, I'm amazed it didn't snap already. I heard something pop the other day when I put in the clutch but thought I broke the plastic spacer I rigged up to temporaily solve the hard engagement problem. Must have been the clutch starting to give afterall.

Anyways the install was real easy to figure out, the tough part is getting to the screws where it meets the firewall (the screw underneath was a PITA!), and I wonder if this would be easier in a GT without the overhead cams invading the work space. There's also a bracket attatched to the clutch cable that bolts into the side of the engine bay just above the oil filter that was easy to remove, but real tough to find since you can't really see it once you get both your arms down there. My only other obstacle was that I had to get a big wood clamp from home depot to disengage the clutch at the tranny to hook the new cable in. After everything was buttoned back up I just had to pull the pedal out to reset the adjuster and I was good to go. Not only does she slide right into gear like butter, the new cable travels MUCH easier through its guide, and the clutch feels much lighter, but still precise and solid. (King Cobra's a great clutch)

Anyways I just though I'd pass along the info in cae anyone's afraid their cable is stretched or ready to go, I caught mine in the nick of time. Cable was 55 bucks from Dean Sellers Ford, took about 2 1/2 hours including the trip to Home Depot and a hot chocolate break :nice:

-Chris

• Sponsors (?)