Clutch cable problem

Dec 18, 2012
I heard a pop sound, and my clutch pedal went limp.Now the car won't shift out of first. I believe its the clutch cable. I have a firewall adjuster, and I'm wondering what kind of clutch cable I need to buy. Can I get the right one at O'reilly, Autozone, etc?

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to a million answers. Everybody will tell you if you have a firewall adjuster to use a stock cable (Ford). Which is probably the best cable you will buy. I bought an adjustable aftermarket one from CJPony and I am happy with it. Mine adjusts down below for rough adjustment and I fine tune it at the firewall. I don't think stock will be adjustable at the bottom, but that doesn't matter.

Welcome to a million answers. Everybody will tell you if you have a firewall adjuster to use a stock cable (Ford). Which is probably the best cable you will buy. I bought an adjustable aftermarket one from CJPony and I am happy with it. Mine adjusts down below for rough adjustment and I fine tune it at the firewall. I don't think stock will be adjustable at the bottom, but that doesn't matter.
Dumb question, but I've never changed a clutch cable out, which end will attach to the firewall adjuster? There's a fat circular thing on one end, and the cable comes out the other with just a little piece on the end. I'm hoping the cable end goes into the adjuster, because that makes the most sense to me. Also, can this be done with basic tools? The car is broken down in a parking garage, and I'm trying to get a basic idea of what to put in the truck. By basic tools I mean, a nutdriver, screwdriver, etc.

The big rubber plug that is on the cable goes thru the firewall. You have to remove (cut with a razor blade) or wiggle like crazy, the rubber grommet off of the cable. You won't use it. You will need a socket like 8,9, 0r 10mm to get the cable off the firewall, and to bolt the adjuster on the firewall. You will need a light for under dash. You will need some wrenches and sockets to unhook the cable down below. The top just hooks under the dash bit can be a rip to get hooked up while standing on your head. Also the cable is bolted to the front frame rail with a small bolt. Don't forget jack, stands, and PARKING BRAKE or wheel chocks.

The big rubber plug that is on the cable goes thru the firewall. You have to remove (cut with a razor blade) or wiggle like crazy, the rubber grommet off of the cable. You won't use it. You will need a socket like 8,9, 0r 10mm to get the cable off the firewall, and to bolt the adjuster on the firewall. You will need a light for under dash. You will need some wrenches and sockets to unhook the cable down below. The top just hooks under the dash bit can be a rip to get hooked up while standing on your head. Also the cable is bolted to the front frame rail with a small bolt. Don't forget jack, stands, and PARKING BRAKE or wheel chocks.

Thanks. Sucks my car is parked 15 minutes away and its 10 degrees outside. So no adjustment is required on the lower end? And I will actually have to temporarily remove the firewall adjuster to run the cable through? Is anything that can cause the cable to break by an over adjustments on the top end? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make this a one trip adventure.

If the firewall adjuster is already on the car now, you are ahead of the game. You just have to remove the cable and install the new one after you remove that big rubber plug on the cable. If the new cable is threaded on the one end you will have to adjust it some under the car. Just tighten it up till it is just touching the fork, with no slop when you wiggle the fork by hand. Then adjust it at the firewall to get the pedal feel you want.

He's correct.
It will pull out of gear if you get it out of a bind.
It will also pull in and out of gears in motion, but you have to find the 'sweet spot' to make it happen... speed, rpm, etc...

Good luck.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue on a night so cold.

The way its parked makes that difficult. The stick is stuck in place as well. The way the garage is made, its hard to keep up the speed, and turn the car the right way.
The best way would be to coast it out of the garage.
Take along a friend to help you push past the slow spots, instead of risking putting it in gear.
Promise him a few beers when you get home.

To get the car in first gear and get started, you should be rolling a bit anyway.
You won't be able to get it in first at a dead stop.

Reactions: 1 user
He's correct.
It will pull out of gear if you get it out of a bind.
It will also pull in and out of gears in motion, but you have to find the 'sweet spot' to make it happen... speed, rpm, etc...

Good luck.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue on a night so cold.
I got it fixed in the garage, better than on the side of the highway at least.

Reactions: 1 user