clutch/cable problems

jjjjjgrant

Mar 25, 2006
i have looked through the previous threads and haven't found my exact problem.
i have a 93 gt, with some bolt ons, headers, pulleys, etc. when we got the car the clutch pedal was very hard, clutch i was told is a king cobra. it has an aftermarket quadrant, adj cable and a fire wall adjuster. i was continualy adjusting it, so i knew something was not right, finaly the cable broke. at that point i replaced the clutch with a new stock clutch, it was great, pedal pressure was nice, i also replaced the cable and quadrant, but over a period of about two months time the pedal has gotten hard again, it is smooth no noticeable binding etc, the other day that cable broke. i replaced it with a BBK heavy duty cable this week end, it is still much harder than i feel like it should be. i checked out the bearing retainer when i installed the new clutch and it looked ok with no visible signs of galding, i even polished it with emery paper to make it smoother as it did have some wear. the only thing i can figure is the bearing retainer maybe binding, i should've replaced it before, hindsight is 20/20. i have no problem replacing the bearing retainer but i wanted to rule out everything else first. so if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

thanks, jeff grant [email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

I cant comment since I havent used that brand of cable. Do you have LT's (you mentioned headers)?

If you have a friend with a stock cable, try swapping it on and see if the engagement is smoother - if so, the cable was the issue.

Good luck.