Clutch Cable Question

6-Stang

Jan 25, 2012
I have a 1986 Mustang GT conv. with 112,000 miles on it. I have been told (not by a mechanic) that it needs a "clutch cable". The clutch, I am sure was replaced sometime in the cars life and it seems "heavy" with a "short throw" on the pedal. What is a clutch cable and what is it function? Thanks in advance.

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

The clutch cable is attached to the top of the clutch pedal via a clutch quadrant. It is routed through the firewall and down to the side of the transmission where it is attached to the clutch fork. When you depress the clutch pedal, the cable pulls on the fork thus releasing the clutch disc. These cables wear over time and can stretch. Aftermarket cables, quadrants and firewall adjusters are available in several brands, all being similar in design and performance.

Are you having a particular problem with the car at the moment? I'm not one to just throw parts at the car based on the "he said so" method.

The clutch cable is attached to the top of the clutch pedal via a clutch quadrant. It is routed through the firewall and down to the side of the transmission where it is attached to the clutch fork. When you depress the clutch pedal, the cable pulls on the fork thus releasing the clutch disc. These cables wear over time and can stretch. Aftermarket cables, quadrants and firewall adjusters are available in several brands, all being similar in design and performance.

Are you having a particular problem with the car at the moment? I'm not one to just throw parts at the car based on the "he said so" method.

Thanks for the reply. Clutch seem stiff and pedal catches about 2" from floor.

Dave

almost definitely a clutch cable problem. I recommend going with an OEM fox or SN95 cable if you can get one. The only two aftermarket cables I'd ever buy are Steeda, and Maximum motorsports. You might also consider a firewall adjuster... very nice to have. UPR makes a good one, but I will not do business with them anymore after the shady patent stuff they've been doing.