Clutch Cable?

Mar 20, 2009
When I first got the car it sounded so much like a squeeky belt I just completely dismissed it.

Now it has developed into a loud ticking sound that wont go away when the clutch is engaged in or out of gear. It comes from the passenger side towards the back of the engine. It actually stops when I put a very slight amount of pressure on the clutch pedal. Like not even completely disengaging it, just resting my foot on it. It also stops once im driving and reach about 1800-2000rpm. Although maybe I just can't hear it over the rest of the car? But it sounds like it goes away.

Any help in some diagnostic would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Possible throwout bearing problem. By design, the cable operated clutch always applies a small amount of pressure to the throwout bearing. This is to insure that the cable does not come loose off the clutch pedal quadrant. That constant pressure will cause some throwout bearings to make funny noises. Usually they are more annoying than anything else.

the sound is pretty annoying, it has gotten increasingly louder over the past month.

so its just something i "might as well" fix one day something else goes wrong down there. or would that be the cause of something else going wrong?

The TOB will probably eventually come apart (some TOBs these days are poorly made. In the old days they would make noise for awhile and stay together. That's not an assumption one can make these days).