Clutch Chatter

9350notch

Dec 31, 2001
Boston, MA
I replaced my clutch about a year ago, and ever since the car shakes when I let up the clutch. It only happens when the car is hot, after driving it for a while. It is normal when the car is cold. I used a remanufactured clutch from a local clutch shop. It had an upgraded friction surface (Kevlar I think). I had the flywheel resurfaced by the same shop. I replaced the pilot bushing, throwout bearing, clutch fork, and had the drive shaft rebuilt and balanced. Anyone have any idea what might be causing the chatter? Is it just a bad clutch or could it be possible to have too much grip (engine is stock)?

• Sponsors (?)

i also have a ram powergrip HD.

my old clutch was a king cobra and it took off easy with no chatter.

he ram clutch has alot more holding power. but getting the car moving from a stop is a little trickier, sometimes it will chatter some. but the clutch has a more "on and off" feel when taking off. i have noticed i have killed the car alot more on accident with the ram clutch, sort of have to slip the clutch just a hard to get a smooth silky take off.

with a parts store clutch i dont think you should be expierencing clutch chatter or anything.

i also have a ram powergrip HD.

my old clutch was a king cobra and it took off easy with no chatter.

he ram clutch has alot more holding power. but getting the car moving from a stop is a little trickier, sometimes it will chatter some. but the clutch has a more "on and off" feel when taking off. i have noticed i have killed the car alot more on accident with the ram clutch, sort of have to slip the clutch just a hard to get a smooth silky take off.

with a parts store clutch i dont think you should be expierencing clutch chatter or anything.

Thanks for the quick replies. So, would the amount of grip the clutch has increase with heat?

I thought I posted on this the other day but I guess I forgot to hit the post. Any way did you replace the pressure plate. You prob did and forgot to post that but if you did not replace that thats a good place to start on your clutch making a racket.

I thought I posted on this the other day but I guess I forgot to hit the post. Any way did you replace the pressure plate. You prob did and forgot to post that but if you did not replace that thats a good place to start on your clutch making a racket.

Yes...I did a full kit. I replaced the clutch disc and pressure plate, and I think everything else but the clutch quadrant and trans mount. That's another thing i've been thinking about. Would upgrading the trans mount to a urethane unit help prevent the movement from the clutch chatter?

Yes...I did a full kit. I replaced the clutch disc and pressure plate, and I think everything else but the clutch quadrant and trans mount. That's another thing i've been thinking about. Would upgrading the trans mount to a urethane unit help prevent the movement from the clutch chatter?

probably not man. i have a king cobra clutch and new everything else down there (pilot, throwout, etc.) and an energy suspension poly trans mount. i still get some clutch chatter if i let the car "bog" a tad during take off. if i keep the rpm's up a little more (1200-1500ish) then everything's smooth.