clutch doesn't seam to disengage, need help

nevets

Aug 12, 2002
Tucson, AZ
A little while ago I pulled my motor because the oil pump locked up. When I pulled the motor the piolt bearing was toast so i pulled the clutch and put a new one on.
Now the motor is back in and runs fine, however when the car is running it will not go into gear (it will shift just fine when the car is off). It is just as if the clutch is not disengageing from the flywheel. The whole linkage and clutch fork seem to be working properly, the throw out bearing looks like it's engageing the pressure pate properly.
I know that I did everything right, the only thing I did which I can think of is maybe overtighten the pressure plate.
I'm not sure if tighting it too much could cause it to somehow not engage?
I am really stumped and any help whatsoever is appreciated.
Thanks, Steve
93 GT, 5 speed, 351W, ed curtis cam, and a lot more.

• Sponsors (?)

every component is aftermarket.
Mainly I just need to know if overtorqueing the pressure plate bolts could cause the problem.
I now know the specs are 15-20 ft/lbs. Lets just say mine is probably somewhere between 60 and 80.

how much preload is on the cable? i cant think of any way overtightening would affect the engagement; only perhaps affect warping.

if your new? clutch set up is fat, you will likely need some preload. thats all i can think of.
good luck.