Drivetrain Clutch Help

arena314

Sep 15, 2015
Buying a new clutch for my 96 gt since the throwout bearing is shot. I don't have loads of money for this bc of the time it happened but I found a king cobra style clutch kit on cj pony parts that seems like a good buy and is good for up to 350 rwhp so what I want to know is has anyone used these clutches before and if so how have they held up? Also would you recommend it. Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Buying a new clutch for my 96 gt since the throwout bearing is shot. I don't have loads of money for this bc of the time it happened but I found a king cobra style clutch kit on cj pony parts that seems like a good buy and is good for up to 350 rwhp so what I want to know is has anyone used these clutches before and if so how have they held up? Also would you recommend it. Thanks in advance
I own a 97 cobra and the previous owner had bad clutch and replaced it with a king cobra clutch. That was 3 years ago but I hardly ever drive it, anyway I can notice my clutch barrelly when I have in neutral and clutch out. Now it's perfectly fine when I have clutch pulled in, idk if the original owner kicked the clutch in right, but I do know that he didn't have a lot of mechanic knowledge so I'm wondering if he took it to a shop. Idk it seems to be ok but that little tiny noise you hear when your in the cab and u have clutch out and in Nuteral. It's a real fast gear sounding noise that's quiet but still noticeable

And also about every 5-7 min of it idling the rpm's of the motor will drop and u really notice it then even from outside of car and then the fan kicks on. It's got a brand new motorcraft alternator on it. But I'm guess that the original clutch is probably the best route to go.

it never slips but it does make noise when its in nuteral with the clutch out. and also idk if it was that brand, ik it was a king cobra clutch but it was probably a little better quality build then 170 bucks...id guess they paid $3-500 on it??? and still thats pretty dam cheap, my brother spent $800 on a chineese made clutch for his ecplipse he use to have and he burned up 2 of them then he wrecked the car. bummer ik

I ended up not using that clutch I had my buddy who's a mechanic get all the stuff for me and put it in for me at a shop. I got new everything. New clutch kit new clutch fork new pilot bearing throw out bearing and raer main seal its all done. The clutch feels great and it all works great but the weird thing is that when its in neutral ideling it will make a rubbing noise not very loud but you can hear it and when you press the clutch in it sounds louder doesn't squeak but it makes a rubbing noise what can this be? I only put about 40 miles on the clutch so far and like I said it feels and works great but just makes that noise and also sometimes it will squeak when I put it in 5th when I'm driving only when I let the clutch out and only in 5th. Is this a problem? Does it need a cable adjustment or is it normal during the break in period? Please lmk asap bc I don't want to damage anything as I spent decent money on it all and I daily the car

I been babying it. It doesn't sound like something bad it just sounds like running like when your car sits and you get surface rust on the rotors and they make a rubbing noise it sounds almost like that

Reactions: 1 user
What brand of throw-out bearing did you use? They ALL seem to make noise except the Ford ones.

Also do you have a stock or aftermarket clutch cable adjuster, if the cable isn't adjusted correctly it can make a noise like that too.

The cable might just be a little loose, there should be a little bit of pre-load on the bearing. But if it is juts a generic replacement TO bearing it is probably going to be noisy and you'll have to live with it :-/

It depends on what exactly is causing the noise, if it is an iffy TO bearing it probably won't hurt. But there is no real way to tell over the interwebz.

I wouldn't recommend any sort of spray lubricant like that anywhere near the clutch.

So if it's the TOB that's just making noise it won't damage anything? There no squeaking or vibranting or hard shifts noone of that it feels and works great just makes that rubbing noise. I only have 75 miles on the clutch but so far it's been working great besides that noise