Clutch install with long tube headers

Long story short, I just bought a 1993 LX 5.0 SSP last weekend knowing it needed its clutch replaced. I also knew it had BBK LT headers. I did not know it is a PITA it is to drop the T5 with LT headers in the way. Changing the clutch out isn't a problem, I'm comfortable with that project and have the time to do it. But having to remove the headers, from what I've read, basically doubles the length of the job. Correct?

Due to time constraints, I was considering just paying a mechanic to put in the clutch, but if my install bill is going to double that's a different story. The car isn't a daily driver, so the car can be on stands for a while, but I'm not sure this is a project I want to start. Does anyone have any experience/wisdom/horror stories they would care to share?

• Sponsors (?)

ive got bassani longtubes on my car and the tranny can be removed with the headers in, but i dunno about BBK's. If they do have to be taken off you could probably just get away with leaving them in the engine bay and taking the bell off instead of completly taking them out

I have BBK LT headers and I removed my T-5 with little trouble. The bellhousing is the only trouble. Unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing and take it out. Then unbolt the bell housing and turn it kinda sideways and lower it down. I've done it so many times it comes natural now. No need to pull the headers.:nice: