Clutch-Need more air gap

Mark89coupe

Apr 5, 2005
I recently replaced the T-5 and put a king cobra clutch in. I have the MM cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster. Im getting a slight grind if I shift into 5th too fast. How can I adjust the clutch to get more air gap?

• Sponsors (?)

Where is your point of engagement with regard to the clutch pedal. If near the bottom (floorboard), you can dial some slack out of the cable.

I would not shift fast into 5th anyhow - IIRC it uses different soft parts than the other gears. No reason to whale it into that gear IMHO.

Yes, try tightening it up a little. Does it grind if you go straight into reverse? I know on some t5's guys have to go to a forward gear and then reverse so it doesn't grind. I have to do that on my tremec but never on my t5.

i thought if you loosen up the cable it will make it grab lower to the floor. the clutch is always engaged until you press in the clutch pedal. too loose and the clutch will not disengage all the way. too tight and the clutch will not engage all the way - clutch will be toast. sounds to me like your clutch isnt engaging all the way.

1991vert said:
i thought if you loosen up the cable it will make it grab lower to the floor. the clutch is always engaged until you press in the clutch pedal. too loose and the clutch will not disengage all the way. too tight and the clutch will not engage all the way - clutch will be toast. sounds to me like your clutch isnt engaging all the way.
You were fine till the last thought. If grinding occurs and it is clutch related, the clutch is not disengaging all the way. One needs to remove slack from the cable (which brings the point of engagement higher).

THis is exactly what my car is doing! Except that I didn't change my clutch, but I changed my tranny fluid and this problem happened. Let me know if adjusting your clutch fixes it...then i can put the tranny rebuild on hold for a while.

skip nay said:
Clutch isn't the problem if you don't have this in any other gear. The syno is probably going out in 5th gear. Now that you have that clutch you maybe shifting alot faster their for you get that little grind noise.

I get an ever so slight crunt in a few other gears also, but 5th will grind if im too fast.

I have the same problem. I just put a brand new T-5z (2.95) HD transmission in (2 days ago). 5th grinds! I have to shift it very very very slow to make the shift with no noise. I know that my clutch is disengaging. While idleing, I can press the clutch and hear the tranny spin down. Sounds like a bad (brand new) synchronizer.

Mark89coupe said:
MM kit gave me a longer cable than stock. Should I go ahead and fasten the cable to the frame?

The overall length is greater - the actual working ends of the cable are the same as stock........ No need to mount it to the body - it shouldn't even have the bracket on the cable.

Adjustable cable.

I have asked a few tranny experts over the past few months and they told me it is most likely the cable adjustment. I adjusted the firewall adjuster and there was no difference.
Who sells a good adjustable clutch cable?