Clutch or tranny problem?

FreeGT

Dec 9, 2003
St. Louis
I've got a 89gt with a pro 5.0, centerforce dual clutch, ford racing heavy duty t-5, and adjustable clutch cable and quadrant (bbk??). I know you have to put it in first and then into reverse with a t-5, but first gear is hard to get into sometimes, 3rd and 5th grind slightly if you slam them real fast, and 5th gear grinds even more when slammed fast. The clutch is real STIFF, and releases really close to the floor; maybe an inch away is fully engaged. Could this be from a clutch not fully disengaging/adjusted, or a bad tranny? I have a firewall clutch adjuster, but never have had time to adjust it. does this adjuster mount in the firewall with the cable on it or do you just put it on to adjust it then take it off.

Maybe I need to quit trying to make lemonade with lemons (rebuilt t-5) and sack up with a tremec.........................

• Sponsors (?)

I think your linkage might be screwed up. Take the metal cover of the tranny and adjust the bolt and adjust the firewall adjuster.

Be careful with "slamming" 5th gear. Its just not a good idea. I've heard alot of people loss there trannys shifting hard into 5th.