Clutch or Transmission Problem??

Hey All,

Well the car is set to go to the exhaust shop on Monday.

I tried putting the car in gear with the engine running for the first time today...with limited success. I can get it into 3rd and 4th with more force than I'm used to but not too bad, but 1st and 2nd are a no go. Once in 3rd if I let the clutch up I can feel the engine engage with the clutch about an inch off the floor.

This tells me (although I could be wrong) that the clutch is doing it's job but perhaps I have an issue with my sncros on 1st and 2nd? I am able to get it into 1st and 2nd with some force (but no grinding) if I put it in 3rd and then go over to 1st.

Any advice would be great. Also note I'm running a hydrallic system.

Thanks,

Brett

• Sponsors (?)

Brett, I would want to dial some freeplay out of the system. The fact that your point of engagement is right on the floor is not great. I would get it up higher - if you still have issues, then look at the box, IMHO.

Good luck.

Ok, so I should try and bring the slave rod further forward so that it has more engagement...but I'm already at the point on the slave that I am against the TOB. Is it ok to put pressure on the TOB when the clutch is not being used? If so, how much is acceptable?

Thanks for the help. :nice:

Brett

Brett, yeah I would preload the TOB a little (that is acceptable with cable clutches and in my experience with hydraulic clutches, they have even less travel than cable clutches, so preload can be the only way to get them to work right).

Now of course once you do this for 2 minutes, you will know what gives and you can determine if you are slipping. I doubt that you would be, but that is a worry for after this is resolved (if there is an issue). :)

one last thought - are you real sure you have the system completely bled? I have had struggles with hydraulic clutches in the past - a Mitivac was the only way to get it 100% (or real close).

Good luck bud.