Clutch pedal cruise control switch

goland55

Founding Member
Feb 9, 2002
New Bedford, MA
Hi there. It's been years since I've posted on here so I'll be surprised if more than a handful of people recognize me but, anyway, I have started wrenching on my stang again and I'm in the middle of the a4ld to t5 swap with an issue.

I swapped in the manual pedal assembly noting that there are two electronic switches on it that the automatic pedal assembly didn't have. One is the neutral safety switch which I found the harnesses for taped up to the main harness. The other...I didn't know at first.

After searching through the forum I found an old post identifying the switch as a clutch pedal cruise control switch. Unfortunately, there was no description of where the harness is located for this switch and I cannot seem to find it taped up anywhere. I was wondering if anyone who had done the swap knows where the harness usually is.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Don't remember where it is but near as can remember was a plug connection with a jumper plug in it since not need for auto. I as going by memory so please forgive. Was going to do a 86 mustang to auto so I change pedal assembly the opposite way and remember had to install jumper. After further looking car turned out to rusty to use after body man seen it.

i found the wire in the vicinity of the radio, but i the plugs were different, so i could not plug them in. Without the jumper the car wont start, so i left the jumper from the auto in and just ignored the clutch switch. The downside is the car WILL start with it in gear, so you have to be careful, And pushing the clutch in will NOT cancel the cruise so you have to push the brake first. Its not the best, but its what i did.

Dr.

Hmmm, I had the column completely unplugged the other day but didn't notice a free connector floating around...I'll have to have another look.

Right now I have the whole center console and radio out (just yanked the whole carpet out to replace) and couldn't find the connectors...Worst case: I hit the off button before I clutch (or tap the brake). I rarely use the cruise control anyway but would kinda like it working as close to perfect as it can.

Nah, you don't need to hook it up....but if you have the cruise control on and you hit the clutch without hitting the brake or turning the cruise control off the car could theoretically rev to the red line. A few people have told me they left it unplugged.

On a side note, I've found the switch in a schematic in my chilton's. It's labeled "Clutch pedal switch #2". Supposedly the connector has a Red/light-green wire coming from the brakelight switch and another red/light-green wire going to a light-green wire that goes to the "engine controls system (2.3 only)" and "speed control amplifier"...whereever those are.... the good news is, I should be able to trace the wires from the brakelight switch to find the connector.

Ok...so the one taped up is the one I already found and plugged in to the driver's side switch. I took the dash apart and found the one behind the radio. The passenger side switch has two connectors, each with two wires. The connector behind the radio only has two wires to it. Does only one of the connectors need to be plugged in?