Clutch pedal vibrating??

Steve2kGT

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
Santa Clara, CA
I've noticed something weird with my 96 cobra...probably not anything to worry about but thought I'd mention it. When I'm in gear, when I get to around 2000 RPM (when I let off the gas and slow down and the rpms are slowly dropping) You can hear the clutch pedal shaking or vibrating. If I slightly put my foot on it, I can feel a little vibration in it. Is this normal? Everything else seems fine, no problems shifting or anything....

• Sponsors (?)

Mine never did that, until I replaced the stock clutch, throwout bearing, and pressure plate for a SPEC stage I clutch and lightened pressure plate. I also had my flywheel resurfaced.

Does the vibration go away if you push in the clutch all the way? If it does, that means that mechanically you are fine. Mine vibrates all the time, sometimes i'll be idling and i'll hear a grinding sort of sound. I am told it's the pressure plates fingers not all lining up, and while its an earsore, mechanically it's not harming anything. On the other hand, some guys are saying this can wear out your throwout bearing faster, and you need a firewall adjuster or something to fix the problem.

Anyways, try searching, or maybe someone else will respond her. I know this topic was discussed about a week ago, and people were posting a lot of info. The vibration really p!sses me off at points. It sounds like chattering teeth at times. Sometimes you can even here it chattering outside the car at idle, easily over my exhaust. It sounds nasty too, not the kind of sound I want to be heard.

My 97 does the same thing, there is actually a TSB from Ford on that issue. TSB 00-24-1 I would'nt replace the clutch without getting a print out of the TSB. It has a few things to check first, hope this helps you out.

Mr.DOHCtor said:
Yep i had the same problem in mine. I needed to replace the Throw Out bearing and the vibration was gone.
Every once in awhile, after I release the clutch, I hear a noise. It is hard to explain the sound.....kind of like a shutter that lasts for a second or two. Anyone know what I am talking about? Is it the TOB?

vipergts281 said:
Every once in awhile, after I release the clutch, I hear a noise. It is hard to explain the sound.....kind of like a shutter that lasts for a second or two. Anyone know what I am talking about? Is it the TOB?

I have that too. It is a loud vibration and the pedal shakes like mad for about a second after I let off the pedal. I firmy believe it's the pressure plates fingers causing all the roukus. I KNOW it's not my throwout bearing, becuase it's brand new along with everything else.

Mine did it too when the clutch flywheel and throw out bearing were all worn out. It was crazy I could look down and see the pedal pulsing up and down. So I bought a SPEC stage 1 and a new flywheel (stock). Along with all that I bought the steeda adjustable clutch cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant. It works great now still makes a weird sound when the clutch is out in neutral. I think it needs a new shaft (the thing that the TOB rides on) it looked pretty worn I heard they make a hardened steel one. But dont feel like going though the pain of ripping the tranny out. I hope that helps you out in some way.

they allow you to adjust the play in your cable. the quadrant makes it a little easier to push the pedal in. The stock quadrant is made of plastic and with having a steel cable you can guess what happens over time the cable starts to wear away the plastic quadrant. Take a look at the one you have on your car now it will be worn. Another thing is that with a heavy clamping pressure plate it puts more pressure on that stock plastic peice and it isnt all that uncommon for the plastic quadrant to break (the self adjuster is on the stock quadrant and it has plastic teeth). Now once you go to an aftermarket quadrant you lose that self adjustment. Now you can hope that with your brand new clutch and pressure plate that it will have just the right amount of play but do you want to risk having to spend another 200+ bucks on another clutch and all the labor that is involved because you burned up your new clutch in 500 miles when you could just get an adjustable cable and set it the way it is meant to be the first time? I hope this post helps you understand why it is important to do more than simply put in a brand new clutch.