Clutch Problems... What to do next?

Mustang Jim

Founding Member
Nov 1, 2001
New Jersey
The clutch pedal on my 64 1/2 3 speed recently began staying on the floor after releasing it during gear changes. In order to return the clutch pedal, I have been pulling it back up with my foot as I drive. This is not an ideal situation! Once I get the pedal about half way up with my foot, it will pop back up the rest of the way on it's own. I suspected the bushings and return spring on the clutch Z bar as there was quite a bit of slop in that to begin with. So, I replaced the bushings and return spring figuring that would solve the problem. Well, it did not solve the problem at all. I checked the clutch pedal support and I cannot detect any wear that would cause the problem there. Maybe I just couldn't get a good enough look at it. So, now I'm suspecting that it is the pressure plate, but I don't know. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do next? Replace the clutch or focus on the pedal support?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your clutch support/spring is functioning well. The design of the clutch pedal works in an arc, where the big spring above the pedal is suppose to aid with the downward movement of the pedal about halfway through the arc (if fact it will be pined to the floor without the pressure plate resistance). On the other hand, it will help the pedal back to its original position within the first ~2-3 inches of pedal movement.

So, I would make sure the pressure plate is being engaged with in the first 1-3 inches of pedal play. Look at the clutch linkage (bent, stripped, or cracked clutch rods, z-bar, and/or clutch fork). Last, pressure plate.

fasttback is right, the spring under the dash is actually an assist spring, not a pedal return spring. Go ahead and remove the assist spring all to gether, it will give you a much better feel for your clutch, with minimal additional effort. Also, I think your clutch linkage is out of adjustment, you should only be able to depress your clutch pedal less then 1" before it starts to engage. I keep my clutch at the top of the pedal motion. I, also, mounted a rear axle bumper (snubber) on the bottom of my clutch pedal to prevent me from depressing the clutch to far.

Like fasttback said, inspect all of your linkage, clutch pedal to Z-bar and Z-bar to bellhousing, to make sure nothing is bent or flexing. Here's a link to a great thread on upgrading your clutch linkage - http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=478488