Clutch Problems

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by Spanish Dave, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Spanish Dave

Spanish Dave Member

Now I have got my car running again after the engine rebuild, there is just one problem I can't go anywhere .... the clutch isn't working :bang:
    I have replaced the flywheel with a NOS part, the clutch is a complete new one from NPD new release bearing and pilot bearing.
    When I operate the clutch the pedal moves and the equalizer bar moves the clutch release lever, but the clutch doesnt want to release (this is at full adjustment) It is very heavy too. The clutch pedal to equalizer bar rod is 15 and a quarter inches long and the equalizer bar to release lever is 6 inches.
    Do I need a longer clutch pedal rod? I don't think there is any more room for a longer rod than the 6 inches down below as it would hit the headers.
    The original clutch had the 3 levers on the coverplate whereas the one I have put in is the *Fingers* type which NPD states is *Long style .. like original* I don't know what that means.
    Also has anyone any ideas what the gearbox is out of (the car was originally an auto) It is a 4 speed toploader, but reverse is towards the driver and foreward (Hurst shifter)
    Thanks in advance.