clutch quad, firewall adjuster and cable

• Sponsors (?)

It's easier after you've done a couple of them beforehand, of course, but even the first time around isn't all that hard. The biggest PITA is getting that stupid little stock plastic pawl off its stud. The stock quad is easy to remove - pull the pin, unclip the spring, and it practically falls off. The pawl is a bugger because getting that spring off is awkward, and then you have to rotate the thing upside-down and push the clutch pedal as farrrrrrr to the floor as you can to get enough clearance on the side to slip it off the stud and past that metal support piece under the dash. (You'll know it when you see it.)

I've never had to pull the seats when I've done it, just move 'em back all the way ... but then again, I'm just a lil' guy. :D

It's easier after you've done a couple of them beforehand, of course, but even the first time around isn't all that hard. The biggest PITA is getting that stupid little stock plastic pawl off its stud. The stock quad is easy to remove - pull the pin, unclip the spring, and it practically falls off. The pawl is a bugger because getting that spring off is awkward, and then you have to rotate the thing upside-down and push the clutch pedal as farrrrrrr to the floor as you can to get enough clearance on the side to slip it off the stud and past that metal support piece under the dash. (You'll know it when you see it.)

I've never had to pull the seats when I've done it, just move 'em back all the way ... but then again, I'm just a lil' guy. :D

I actually had to break the pawl 'cause no matter how far I pushed the clutch pedal there wasn't enough room to clear the brace. Got frustrated and broke it with a screwdriver and hammer.

I pulled the seat and the studs for the front of the seat. Not bad after that.

Messing with the pawl is the worst part and after I decided to break it everything went quick.

for some reason the main harness goes right beneath my quadrant, so theres no way I can get to it without somehow moving the harness. It seems as though whoever installed the alarm (previous owner) moved the harness and I really dont know what to do about it....

That's weird. I've managed to get the last two out that I've done without having to resort to using my little mini-hacksaw (a sabersaw blade in a handle). Of course, I had to pull the carpet down just a bit to get the pedal to go all the way forward to the floor enough to get clearance for the pawl to come out, but it still worked. I dunno, everyone's car is a wee bit different with these things, but the idea's still pretty much the same.

I was surprised Frankenstang's wiring looked as clean and orderly as it did, considering the interior is a total swap-over ('80 Capri with '90 Mustang stuffs). I was almost afraid of what I was gonna find when I stuck my head under the dash, but it was a pretty darned clean swap. My notch has some kind of broke-arsed bracket of some kind with what looks to be a couple of relays on it that was right smack in the way when I was doing my quad/FWA install - yet another area out of many where my car is now held together by an incredible number of zip-ties. :)

You're still running the stock quad? Dood ... spend the $60 on a FWA/quad from UPR or someplace similar and get on that, ASAP. The install's not nearly as hard as everyone makes it out to be...

...well, aside from Frankenstang's, because the hole in her Capri's firewall was about 1/4" too small for some weird reason, and needed a bit of "persuasion" with a Dremel tool. :D