Clutch Question???

smkshw

5 Year Member
Feb 12, 2010
hey guys,i have centerforce dual friction,does anyone know why my clutch pedal would be stiff when the car is not warmed up?.....the clutch gets easier as the car reaches temp???.....its a fairley new clutch and i just put in a new cable last month?

• Sponsors (?)

I would start with wile its cold and stiff to move. removing it from the tranny and see if it still feels stiff. if so then when the engine warms up and the exhaust is hot the grease on the cable is lighter and causes less friction

I would start with wile its cold and stiff to move. removing it from the tranny and see if it still feels stiff. if so then when the engine warms up and the exhaust is hot the grease on the cable is lighter and causes less friction
Its really stiff,and i put another new cable to confirm,has somthing to do with the clutch,cant be cable related...
I have same CF. I really don't notice any difference cold or hot, When did it start ??

Sorry not much help...
it started a couple weeks ago,had cable issues before,a new cable fixed it,but now when its cold,its tight a hell,then starts working as car warms up...must be somthing with the presure plate i dont know!

Your problem sounds like a cable issue.

It may be old. It may be dirty. You can try disconnecting the pedal end and shooting a lubricant into the cable sleeve.

If cold pedal pressure is easier then it's probably time to start looking for a replacement. Get an OEM style braided cable.

Ok so sounds like to me either there's grease that gummed up your cable or your throw out bear those are the two parts that should move freely when you push in the clutch also it can be a lack of grease if you didn't put some light grease on the shaft were the throw out bearing slides it could cause it to be stiff when cold you can remove the cable at the tranny and move the clutch fork some when it's cold to see if it's moving freely there you won't be able to push the clutch in but you can see if it sliding freely or not and will be able to know if your going to have to pull the tranny or not I have seen before were one or two of the springs will break in the presure plate and cause a stiff pedal as well so that's possibility as well hope this helps

Reactions: 1 user
Your problem sounds like a cable issue.

It may be old. It may be dirty. You can try disconnecting the pedal end and shooting a lubricant into the cable sleeve.

If cold pedal pressure is easier then it's probably time to start looking for a replacement. Get an OEM style braided cable.
Ive replaced it already,even put a stocker in just to double check...idk!

Ok so sounds like to me either there's grease that gummed up your cable or your throw out bear those are the two parts that should move freely when you push in the clutch also it can be a lack of grease if you didn't put some light grease on the shaft were the throw out bearing slides it could cause it to be stiff when cold you can remove the cable at the tranny and move the clutch fork some when it's cold to see if it's moving freely there you won't be able to push the clutch in but you can see if it sliding freely or not and will be able to know if your going to have to pull the tranny or not I have seen before were one or two of the springs will break in the presure plate and cause a stiff pedal as well so that's possibility as well hope this helps
Im going to try to grease and check throw out bearing and shaft this weekend see if that helps

Before you try to sneak some grease in there I would check the free play on the throw out bear by just pulling cable off and see how well it moves you should get about a inch of play and that would tell you if it is moving freely if it is the next step is pull the tranny and take a look at the presure plate and disk

Before you try to sneak some grease in there I would check the free play on the throw out bear by just pulling cable off and see how well it moves you should get about a inch of play and that would tell you if it is moving freely if it is the next step is pull the tranny and take a look at the presure plate and disk
Cant really get grease in there man?!....but it seems to be moving the little bit with out cable hooked up freely?

So unfortunately I'm thinking your going have to pull the tranny and inspect the presure plate and disk for broken springs or just live with it the way it is
Thanks for your input....it works fine otherwise?....just its fricken strange!!!....,so im going to ride it out for this season,if i pull tranny its inspect and new clutch regardless....

The odd thing is the hot/cold thing.

With the cable ruled out, the only thing left is maybe a slight bind in the pressure plate.

The only OTHER thing that I can think of might be to check all of the bushings in whatever quadrant setup you have. Pedal bushings too.

If your quadrant is has a steep ramp and then a long side, you might try one that is a different shape if you have it lying around. This is straw grasping and I wouldn't spend money on it.

Reactions: 1 user
The odd thing is the hot/cold thing.

With the cable ruled out, the only thing left is maybe a slight bind in the pressure plate.

The only OTHER thing that I can think of might be to check all of the bushings in whatever quadrant setup you have. Pedal bushings too.

If your quadrant is has a steep ramp and then a long side, you might try one that is a different shape if you have it lying around. This is straw grasping and I wouldn't spend money on it.
Yes the hot cold thing has me completely stumped!....i will give everything one more look!,because there realy shouldnt be anything in the clutch that would cause this!?!?...unless pressure plate relaxes when warm all of a sudden?!?!....and ya maybe a bind in there somwhere!?!?...but man so strange!....its going to bug me until i figure it out...lol