Clutch replaced, question on pedal height and travel

Cobra-Master

Jan 23, 2003
I replaced my clutch in my 95 Cobra this past weekend, once we had it all back together, I noticed the clutch pedal flopping loose on the floorboard. I pulled the pedal up until it clicked and this made the clutch operable, but now it seems like the clutch pedal is further down from where it originally sat. Also, the clutch pedal travel seems to be very short.

I know I've read posts about a "quadrant adjuster" etc... is this what will change my pedal position and travel? And, if so, where is it located and how do I adjust it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

go under the dash and take a look at the adjuster.....theres a metal tab connected to the end of the cable that can move when you pull the pedal up, and thats what takes the slack out of the clutch cable. the spring is probably too weak to pull all the slack out of the cable, thus making your pedal slop and overall low position and short travel. go under there, pull up the pedal, and push the adjuster up by hand and hold it up while you let the pedal back down, it will lock in tight and the pedal will be firm all the way up like it was before, sorry I cant explain it better but you should see it once your in there, its just to the right of the steering column, in between the gas and brake pedal areas, up under the dash. its a plastic gear that does the locking in when you pull up the pedal and let it go.

Cobra-Master said:
I replaced my clutch in my 95 Cobra this past weekend, once we had it all back together, I noticed the clutch pedal flopping loose on the floorboard. I pulled the pedal up until it clicked and this made the clutch operable, but now it seems like the clutch pedal is further down from where it originally sat. Also, the clutch pedal travel seems to be very short.

I know I've read posts about a "quadrant adjuster" etc... is this what will change my pedal position and travel? And, if so, where is it located and how do I adjust it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

By the time you need a new clutch, you need an adjustable cable and a new cable quadrant. They replace your old setup with a metal quadrant and a cable that has a threaded adjuster on the clutch end of the cable. The adjuster looks like a turnbuckle bolt, and you loosen or tighten the nuts to adjust the clutch free play.

There are a number of different makers and all are pretty good. I would buy the cable, quadrant and a firewall adjuster from the same manufacturer to be sure that it all works together. The firewall adjuster is an extra $30 item that you don't need, but it makes adjusting the pedal engage/disengage point much easier. When you have one , you don't have to crawl under the car to fine tune the clutch adjustment.

Assuming I keep the one I've got right now, how do I get a couple of extra clicks on the quadrant adjuster? I crawled under the dash and found it, but there is a gear engaged on the adjuster... how do I temporarily disengage this gear to pull the adjuster up for more tension in the cable?

I agree on getting a new one... and I'll get a new one as you suggest in a few weeks, but I'm in a jam for now and need some way to adjust it quickly.

Don't know about the stock adjuster, but I highly recommend the Steeda kit with the billet quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster. You wouldn't believe how gunked-up my old cable was, you could tell sliding it in the casing. The new one is Teflon lined, when you get it installed and adjusted it feels perfect.
:nice:

P.S.- Install note in sig applies to Fox bodies- you have to pry the metal bracing away from the mounting to get a new quadrant on! You shouldn't have to.