Clutch Slip?

I think I'm having some clutch slip but isn't like slip I've had before. Car is great 1st and 2nd beside no traction then rowing through 3rd 4th and 5th sounds like I never shifted out of 3rd and doesnt pull like normal. It stays at 4 grand for a long time before climbing and i know with a 4cyl trans and 4:10s this is abnormal. Runs perfect if your foot isnt to the floor. Also 1 time itll smoke 3rd off another it won't didnt think nothing of it till I noticed everything else. I tried in 5th cruising and mashing it and does rev a hair before it climbs. Just wanted to see if anyone else had a clutch slip like this. It's a King Cobra clutch that has been abused in another car and met some oil due to rear main seal but looked in great shape. Thanks for any replys

• Sponsors (?)

Well, it sounds like you are blasting right through the clutch's ability to hold.

I would point out that clutch slippage in 1st and 2nd gear can mimic "no traction".
I would bet you are slipping the clutch along with wheelspin, and don't realize it.
Then, when you reach 3rd gear, you are out of the wheelspin "zone", and have nothing left but slippage.

Oh, and the oil in the clutch is a really bad thing.
I hope you cleaned everything with a massive dose of brake parts cleaner before reusing.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I'm having some clutch slip but isn't like slip I've had before. Car is great 1st and 2nd beside no traction then rowing through 3rd 4th and 5th sounds like I never shifted out of 3rd and doesnt pull like normal. It stays at 4 grand for a long time before climbing and i know with a 4cyl trans and 4:10s this is abnormal. Runs perfect if your foot isnt to the floor. Also 1 time itll smoke 3rd off another it won't didnt think nothing of it till I noticed everything else. I tried in 5th cruising and mashing it and does rev a hair before it climbs. Just wanted to see if anyone else had a clutch slip like this. It's a King Cobra clutch that has been abused in another car and met some oil due to rear main seal but looked in great shape. Thanks for any replys

So you put an abused King Cobra from another car into yours, that had previously been doused with oil? I am a firm believe in never reusing clutches, unless they have been put on with a couple hundred miles, but then I still wouldn't. Used clutches of any sort, are not in my comfortable range. They aren't expensive new, and if I am pulling my transmission off, I am going new everything, (clutch, pressure plate, rear main seal, throwout bearing, bearing retainer) if they have never been replaced before.

I am betting its your clutch. Just buy a new whole kit. If your basically stock, or below 350hp, LMR has a really good kit for $340. I am running the clutch kit in my car with no complaints. It comes with the Clutch/Pressure Plate, Flywheel (stock), Steel Bearing Retainer, Rear Main Seal, Pilot Bearing and Installation Hardware.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-7560A-K/82-93-Mustang-50L-Clutch-Kit