Clutches

I know you've been around here long enough to know that you'd be pushing beyond the reliable limits of the stock block with that much power. Obviously it can be done, and I've even seen guys go seasons without blowing up. My impression of nitrous is that it's even harder on motors because of the amount of low end torque produced. I do not recall if you're already running an aftermarket block, but I presume not, because the overwhelming majority of guys with one are running more displacement. So, I guess I'd recommend sticking with the 150 shot or less.

Also, have you already purchased the rear gear? I'm currently in gear/tire mode with my car, and your 3.73s, I think, are going to need some taller tires to keep your 1/4 mile traps in the right area. I trapped 118mph with a 420rwhp more-than-full-weight hatchback. At 500rwhp, you're likely to go high 120s. I think with the stock block, keeping your RPM below 6000 is smart, and 6k RPM is only 122 mph with 275/40/17s (25.7" diameter). A 28" tire would put you through the traps at 128 at 5700, and you wouldn't be at 6000 until 134.

• Sponsors (?)

I've been 10.17 @ 132 with a CF DF clutch. They work well. But I feel like if the OP buys a CF DF, he'll be starting out already at the clutch's limit... and people generally want to go faster as they refine their combos.

@FastDriver thanks for the link. I understand having the clutch as the "weak link" before the trans. I also was confused on the Centerforce system. For some reason I thought the dual friction was a DD. OOPS I'm an idiot. Also I'm just going to run this for a season or 2 (going Dart 363 built by Ford Strokers). I initially planned to have this done already but the T5 is toast. I've got the TeamZ rear suspension waiting to go in. I've got all the hci,fuel system,etc for the stock block and will hopefully have both done before it turns cold. This is going to be a "see how fast a stock block will go" thing for now. I've ran a 150 dry kit before(12.30's@117) on this short block. I also am planning on going 28" tire for the track. I know some of my logic/plan is flawed. Just going to have fun(maybe it will be a disaster). I'm going to go with a Nitrous Express plate system next year w/ a good tire. I will also have to cage it(which I'm not thrilled about doing). Thanks again for the input.

So @90lxcoupe what would your recommendation be? I am going to purchase the Liberty TKO 600 w/upgrades,QuickTime Bell,MM cable kit,etc. The rest of the combo is 302 w/ hci + around 150-200 shot(motor should make around 330-350 rwhp w/out juice) BBK LT's,aluminum ds,8.8 31 sp moser axles,FRPP diff and 3.73 gears.

I would put a ram power grip in it, not the HD one, just the regular power grip. I would also talk to Brad at liberty and see what he recommends, but i am betting he will say that clutch is the one also. I think your plan is fine with the nitrous, a friend had a similar setup and ran more juice than anyone would believe thru it and never had an issue. Just keep an eye on the tuneup and stay on top of the plugs.

Reactions: 1 users