CNBC Reports 05 Under 20000 w/ 300HP

Kyle-02GT

May 21, 2003
CNBC report from Chicago Auto Show: 10:50AM EST

"Ford Mustang will be offered at a budget for consumers for under $20,000 including the 300HP brawn of all the others."

Just to spur rumors debate. I at least thought it was interesting :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I still say it can be done and it will be done because it has been said so by Ford. If they screw this up, it will cost them a LOT. Besides the insurance rates won't go down (gas prices won't drop either) because there is a 19,999$ V8 so even if there is a V6 for, let's say, only $500 cheaper - they still will see strong V6 sales.

I see the 20k V8 as a "No bull****, bare bones, RWD V8 muscle car" which is something that no other company has to offer. It would be about freaking time we see something. Remember the Mustang was introduced to have something for everyone - This would make the '05 true to its heritage.

I don't think there is $5K worth of stuff they can take out of the GT. Unless it has no radio, A/C , backseat, and carpet like the Cobra R and then give it steel 16" rims no spoiler, no fog lights, and V6 cat back.

bottom line, its not going to happen.

It could happen, no leather, no power options, no track or cruise, steel wheels and just standard basic everything with the V-8 possible under $20K. But I think they were referring to the V-6 starts under $20 and there is an available 300HP V-8.

Z28x said:
I don't think there is $5K worth of stuff they can take out of the GT. Unless it has no radio, A/C , backseat, and carpet like the Cobra R and then give it steel 16" rims no spoiler, no fog lights, and V6 cat back.

bottom line, its not going to happen.

Delete- leather, power windows, locks, mirrors, and seats. Spoiler, fog lights, AC, rear sway bar,

Downgrade seats. Go with no stereo, or install basic am/fm with four speakers. You could downgrade brakes to V6 brakes since they are four wheel disc, just smaller than GT rotors. T-5 tranny instead of Tremec.

I think it COULD be done but WON'T be done. Too much work for Ford, when they will already see a big rise in sales over last years because of the total new redesign.

Go backwards here: Base GT $19,999.
Options list.
Leather $1200
A/C $1500
Mach stereo $800
Performance brakes $500
Spoiler $200
Comfort package"
Power windows
Power locks
Power mirrors
Power seats
Performance buckets
Total/comfort package $1000
Auto tranny $1200
Rear sway bar $150
Fog lights $150

Total options $6700
Total MSRP $26,699

Just an example, but like I said, I would have to see it to believe it.

yeah, forgot about cruise control.

Ok, people are trying to work backward from the $25k GT--seeing what they can removed. But let's try working forwards from the base $17k V6 car. What does the V8 add? $1000? What does bigger brakes add? $300? What else? Dual exaust? Maybe $300? I thought the suspension was basically the same on the two cars. Are the trannies different? If so, what does that add? What else?

66Satellite said:
Ok, people are trying to work backward from the $25k GT--seeing what they can removed. But let's try working forwards from the base $17k V6 car. What does the V8 add? $1000? What does bigger brakes add? $300? What else? Dual exaust? Maybe $300? I thought the suspension was basically the same on the two cars. Are the trannies different? If so, what does that add? What else?

A tremec 3650, beefed up suspension to handle the additional weight and handleing, Rear end to an 8.8" to handle the torque. Probally tires and wheel will have to be bigger to plant the power also.............

Ok so I have:

$1000 for the V8
$300 for beefier brakes
$300 for dual exhaust
$500 for a beefier tranny
$300 for beefier rear end
$300 for misc suspension bits...
I think the 17" wheels will be fine--or are the base wheels 16"? Heck, I'd take 15" steel cop wheels and swap 'em later.

So that's $2700. These are very rough gestimates of course...

66Satellite said:
Ok so I have:

$1000 for the V8
$300 for beefier brakes
$300 for dual exhaust
$500 for a beefier tranny
$300 for beefier rear end
$300 for misc suspension bits...
I think the 17" wheels will be fine--or are the base wheels 16"? Heck, I'd take 15" steel cop wheels and swap 'em later.

So that's $2700. These are very rough gestimates of course...

I doubt if the engine is just a thousand. Its not just two extra cylinders. The block is aluminum on the GT, the heads are three valves per cylinder, its got that variable camshaft timing and charge motion control valve(whatever that is), plus radiator and cooling system would cost a bit more, and I'm sure computer and electronics is quite a bit more. You can't work up from the V6 platform cause base to base is not the same now. You have to work up from the sub 20k GT base, cause thats where the controversy is. Even a stripped down GT is going to cost more than a fully optioned V6.

mp67 said:
I doubt if the engine is just a thousand. Its not just two extra cylinders. The block is aluminum on the GT, the heads are three valves per cylinder, its got that variable camshaft timing and charge motion control valve(whatever that is), plus radiator and cooling system would cost a bit more, and I'm sure computer and electronics is quite a bit more. You can't work up from the V6 platform cause base to base is not the same now. You have to work up from the sub 20k GT base, cause thats where the controversy is. Even a stripped down GT is going to cost more than a fully optioned V6.

Since I've totally redone the cooling, exhaust, brakes, etc. on my car with nice, brand new stuff, and haven't really spent that much money, I wouldn't expect the difference on simply upgrading these items to really be that much money. And the way they're gonna be mass producing this new 3v stuff for the trucks, etc., I'd think the price difference wouldn't be all that much. But you may be right. Anyway, we'll know for sure in a few months.