coba intake

• Sponsors (?)

I would want to look a little bigger..maybe an edelbrock intake, I'm also a big fan of the GT40...it seems a very capable intake. If you have the cobra already then I'd look to Tmoss to port the lower and definately use it.

DMAN - The Cobra and the GT40 share the same lower intake -- and the lower is the bottleneck; the two flow almost identically (as does the Explorer - which also uses the same lower). So, if the lower needs to be ported for the Cobra, it also needs to be ported for the GT40 -- they share the same lower.

The Cobra intake will likely work just fine -- it won't work quite as well above 5000-5500 rpm as the Edelbrock will - but will probably work better below 4000 rpm. As DMAN says, have tmoss port the lower, and I think it will be just as good for you as the aftermarket units will with your set up.

There ya go..you learn something every day..I was not aware the Gt and cobra intakes share the idential lower...nice bit of info. I was using available test info on the GT40vs other intakes in recent magazines..they indicated the Gt did make excellent numbers down low and mid range..better than other popular intakes..giving up very little up top.

Michael Yount said:
DMAN - Explorer shares the same lower too....all 3 work almost identically...
Even better...that alone should make the explorer intake a little more desired. I am a fan of the appearance/performance of the GT intake, but not of the suggested price tag. Thanks for the scoop of info Mike..that's good stuff to know.

tmoss said:
Explorer = poor man's GT40 intake, that's why I have one :cheers:
I'll drink to that, as I myself have the explorer intake... ($200 for upper/lower)
But correct me if I'm wrong, the cobra, the upper and lower can be ported, however the GT-40, only the lower can be... would it be benificial to have both ported on his cobra intake...

I would rarely recommend porting a Cobra/Explorer upper intake. With a ported lower they can flow ~250-260cfm and flow enough for most "street" style aftermarket heads. Once you get to 270cfm of flow, go to a bigger intake or an intake that can be ported to flow the required amount.