Cobra...BMW

well yeah if you're not worried about money, of course you can ad a few mods and make the cobra keep with the viper, but put those same mods into the viper and I don't see the cobra catching up. but you know, the viper's an $80,000 car more or less, the cobra's what? $35,000. Now if I had money coming out of my ass then I'd go for the viper any day, but if i had enough for either a cobra or M3, I'd go for the M3

• Sponsors (?)

94_302 said:
I would take the cobra, I see more M3's than cobras and they dont appeal to me much anymore. A saleen s-281E though would take the cake. SL500 Yeah they may look cool but they ARE SLOW for what you pay. Seriously a Stock GT would be a good race for the SL500, for that money why not get a viper or a 911? Or if your in the 120k range look at an e-55 those are up there right?

in the $120k range, you're actually in the park for an SL600--- 0-60 in 3.6 and 1/4 in 11.9......twin-turbo V12....

03 cobras are 390RWHP
blades dyno'd like 384RWHP SAE bone stock i think.

the cobra would roast an m3 in striaght line performance, dispite the ghetto IRS rear end. it also has a motor that could potentially match the TTsupra in terms of internal strength. but thats about all it has on the m3.

an e46 m3 is a really refined car. it would outhandle the cobra no problem. everything about the build quality is better than the cobra. the only thing is that e46 m3's have a weak aftermarket compared to what is available to e36 m3's.

the m3 costs more. if both cars wer the same price, i'd take the bmw, but the cobra is alot cheaper, and you get a really fast vehicle with tons of potential.

ChaosStarter said:
Yea, :bs: '03/'04 Cobra's are all rated at 390/390.

If you just want an all-around awesome sports car that has power, handles like it's on rails, and is a top notch car, get the newer M3. If you want an incredable beast of a powerhouse, get the Cobra. The build quality is where you get the $20k difference.

:lol: :rlaugh: "build quality"? yeah, built by the poorest kids in the biggest ghetto in Germany (FACT) for the richest Americans who want to throw their money away. Porsche, BMW, Mercedes...all built by underpaid workers who are getting taken advantage of. The BMW is a LUXURY car man, it's not a sports car, and that's my opinion. I say that b/c everyone seems convinced that the M3 is some sort of muscle car. It's WAY overpriced and if you aren't 45 and in mid life crisis, you aren't going to look right driving it. As for the Cobra, well, sure it's powerful, but like opinions, everybody has one. Personally, if you are looking at spending close to 100k, I'd start thinking Italian engineering at that point. For under 100k, I'd definitly take the Viper GTS. A mean looking car with the bite to back it up. Best advice I can give though=don't spend that amount of money on a car. It's crazy.

Mean03V6 said:
:lol: :rlaugh: "build quality"? yeah, built by the poorest kids in the biggest ghetto in Germany (FACT) for the richest Americans who want to throw their money away. Porsche, BMW, Mercedes...all built by underpaid workers who are getting taken advantage of.

Dude get your facts striaght. those cars are not built by sweat shop workers or kids. I've seen a 20 minute assembly line video of the e46 cars from a factory in munich. the workers are veteran technicians that are very well paid and know what they're doing. the process was amazing really, they are very careful when putting the car together.

and as for mercedes, have you ever heared of AMG? can you say hand built motors man? they are built by master mechanics that are VERY well paid. if its one things teh german auto manufacturers shine at, its paying their workers well. their work reflects on the car.

dude, believe me, you got your facts mixed up, im not trying to flame you, im trying to keep you from getting flamed. there is a reason why those cars cost so much. if they were built like fords were and cost 20k more, BMW and merc would be sooo out of ****ing business.

aznzebra said:
Dude get your facts striaght. those cars are not built by sweat shop workers or kids. I've seen a 20 minute assembly line video of the e46 cars from a factory in munich. the workers are veteran technicians that are very well paid and know what they're doing. the process was amazing really, they are very careful when putting the car together.

and as for mercedes, have you ever heared of AMG? can you say hand built motors man? they are built by master mechanics that are VERY well paid. if its one things teh german auto manufacturers shine at, its paying their workers well. their work reflects on the car.

dude, believe me, you got your facts mixed up, im not trying to flame you, im trying to keep you from getting flamed. there is a reason why those cars cost so much. if they were built like fords were and cost 20k more, BMW and merc would be sooo out of ****ing business.

I had a German technician come through the plant not too long back. While he was there, the boss man had just purchased one of those Carrera 4 S cars...supposed to be fast. Anyway, he pulls up, gets out, and as he's walking away, I see this German guy laughing his a$$ off. I said, "Hey, what's so funny?" He said, "Only stupid American buy Porsche." One of my dad's friends has a 911 twin turbo that has duct tape holding the brake line to the car. Yeah, if I had $60k, I'd surely buy German. :rolleyes: Not to flame, but you might find it interesting that, according to Consumer Reports, for every 100 BMW cars made, 67 in the fleet have warranty related problems....Benz was slightly worse at 70 per one hundred units. Compare that to Ford's 52 for every hundred and Chevy's 50 for each hundred. Yeah, German manufacturing really shines. If your interested, the best car maker was Toyota, with only 25 per one hundred units...the worst was Cadillac, with a staggering 87 of every hundred coming back. Not to flame you, but, I think I'll pocket my $40k and buy a Ford, thanks.

what about wait for the '05 'stangs? aren't the GTs suppose to lay down some high stock hp figures? just think of what the cobra will do when it comes out.

i also hear shelby has designed a new concept cobra that ford is thinking about. only caught a gimplse of it on TV when ESPN had coverage of some auto show. if its anything like the orginals...ungah!

but yes i wouldn't mind a z06 either. those are some badass cars, just a bit pricey. once again you could wait for the c6 which should be an even more enjoyable car. espically when they get around to producing z06 c6s which I think is going to be sometime in 2005.

but from just the two cars youve listed...of the beemers i've seen...good luck on working on them yourself. don't know anything about cobras, but since its american it can't be anything like those bmws.

There is such a thing as European POS's. They too have their moments cuz were all human and s--t happens. :lol:

Bottom line is that both cars are different.

Cannot compare apples with oranges. Each has its own merits and our decisions are mainly based on that.

Can you say, Backward Motor Works? :) :rlaugh:

All kidding aside, buy a Cobra. :flag: :hail2: