Cobra Engine is IN! (the conversion continues)

• Sponsors (?)

Well, after a two-month hiatus I'm back at it. I installed the ignition cut-off, works great. The engine will now crank forever but won't get any fuel until the system is deactivated. :nice:

I'm also polishing up the interior some - I finished the passenger's side tonight. The color scheme is still tan & black, but more black now. I kept the doors, center console and dash as black/tan, the rest is all black. Let me know what you think.

cobra_interior_1.jpg

The driver's door isn't done yet, the door panel won't line up quite right. The windows are gray because I still have the car cover on.

cobra_interior_2.jpg

I'm aiming to finish the interior this weekend. Next up is flushing the coolant system.

Attachments

• cobra_interior_1.jpg
    cobra_interior_1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 99
  • cobra_interior_2.jpg
    cobra_interior_2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 111
Interior Complete!

I gotta finish this project, it's SOOO close! I finally finished the reat of the interior, here's a shot from the driver's side:

cobra_interior_3.jpg

I'm flushing the coolant now, hopefully it'll be done soon.

Attachments

• cobra_interior_3.jpg
    cobra_interior_3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 99
looks good:nice:

thats the style center armrest i need,i dont even smoke,no use for the ashtray.
i dont like driving around with my coffee in the flip-out cup holder i have,gets in the way when im rowing through the gears.

Here's a long overdue update. If any of you remember, the first time I started up the Cobra it ran really rough. I thought it was bad gas in the tank, but it turned out that the PIP in the distributor had failed. I took apart the dizzy and replaced the PIP, and now the Cobra starts up nice and easy, settles down to a nice purr.

Today, as I mentioned in this post, I passed the California inspection and tailpipe emission test. The referee there makes sure you have all the correct emission parts and you pass the tailpipe emissions for the engine. In hindsight, I had nothing to worry about but I stressed over it anyway.

Now that the car is legal to drive, it's time to...well, drive it all over the place. I need to get used to this car again and work out any bugs I find. I know of only three things left to finish this project:

1. Install a Cobra bumper and fog lights. I have these, was just waiting to finish everything else.
  2. My clock and radio faceplate lose power periodically - the clock kinda fades out although it still keeps time correctly. The radio faceplate loses power so none of the buttons work, but the radio still plays without interruption. The clock fades out more often than the faceplate, so they're related but not necessarily connected. I'm going to look at the grounds for the dash harness and see what I find.
  3. I got a good-sized dent in my rear quarter panel. Ran into a guy today who was drooling over the Cobra clone, turns out he has an 06 'Stang and owns a mobile dent-pulling company. In exchange for some Mustang advice, he'll give me a discount on pulling the dent. :D
OMG It's kinda hard to believe that all the mechanical work is done! Time to do a lot of :cheers:

Nice work man! It's always a good feeling when you get your project running.

One thing, it looks like the airbag on the passenger side still has some space between it and the dash, are you gonna try to get it flatter? I'm really anal about things I can see while driving and that would drive me crazy!!

Nice work man! It's always a good feeling when you get your project running.

One thing, it looks like the airbag on the passenger side still has some space between it and the dash, are you gonna try to get it flatter? I'm really anal about things I can see while driving and that would drive me crazy!!

Never noticed a gap, but I bet I will now - thanks SO much. :p I might leave it, the heat here in Southern California tends to make vinyl sag and fill gaps like that.

And finally, the project comes to a close.

The only thing left in the Cobra conversion was the Cobra front bumper and the Cobra fog lights. Those I took care of this afternoon. I need to wax the bumper up to get the shine up, but that's not part of the "conversion". Photos:

cobra_complete_1.jpg

cobra_complete_2.jpg

Part of me can't really believe it, but I'm actually done. A few stats for those of you who care:

Total calendar time, from start to finish: 17 months.
Actual days worked: 83. Not all were full days of work, some were only an hour or two.
I estimate over half the 17 months was wasted, when I just didn't feel like working on the project. Now, I could only really do work on the weekends due to my day job and I didn't have a garage to work in. So a week was not wasted if I could do work that weekend. But there were many weekends I just didn't feel up to working at all. Overwhelmed by too much work to do, I suppose.

I do plan eventually to have the clone repainted, but for now the paint will have to do.

END OF LINE :flag:

Wow, beautiful swap. About to attempt the same thing my self. Did you have to swap K members?

Nope, the k-members are identical in all 94-95 Mustangs. The Cobra motor mounts bolted right into the V6 k-member. Also, the transmission crossmember is also identical. Ford made a custom bracket bracket for each transmission so the transmission mount would line up.