Fox Cobra Intake Manifold (distributor Issue)

whoznextlive

Mar 16, 2016
First of all , I am new to this forum and not sure if this topic has been discussed and resolved.

I just installed a cobra intake manifold on my 92 GT, but I am now having issues setting the correct timing. The distributor hits the thermostat housing and I can only get it to 18 degrees before the TFI hits the thermostat housing. The car runs good at 18 degrees but I feel it gets hot to quick. I am running 93 octane fuel in it and I hear no pinging.

I've been searching the web and found that this is a common issue with made in china intakes, but have yet to find a solution.

• Sponsors (?)

I am having trouble seeing this without a picture. On a GM car with added HEI, ((no more little points distributor for me), the vac canister to firewall or throttle linkage clearance was a problem. I pulled the distributor and put it in one tooth over so the cap and canister had clearance when the rotor was in the new clock spot.
Are the China Cobra manifolds too tight to do that with Ford parts? It seems you could start at TDC, install the rotor at any of 360 degrees, and as long as there is clearance, turn the body and cap to match.

The pic in the link shows the back of the tfi rubbing on the intake. If that's the case then setting timing would be practically impossible without modifying something.

Not exactly the answer you want to hear, but if the TFI Module is hitting you can relocate it with Fat Foxxx's kit.
http://fatfoxx.com/products.php

Beats modifying the intake, offsetting the distributor, or switching intakes/rails etc. Its pretty cheap and is prolongs the life if the module not getting exposed to heat (supposedly).

Reactions: 1 user
The pictures are not loading at the. Corral. Maybe because I am not a member there? Anyway, if you could post a pic of the problem here, we could know what to watch for. I do not know if there is room to move over a tooth without a picture. It is close on the stock manifold.