Cobra IRS in a Fox Mustang - Anyone here do it ?

I originally posted this in 5.0 Talk but decided to post here as well in hopes of getting more response (sorry for any duplication). I'm thinking seriously about doing this and I was curious to hear from those who have successfully swapped an IRS into their Foxbody. What were the most labor intensive things about it, what were the hardest to find parts, etc. and would you do it again. What about your wheels (sizes, styles, offsets). I don't plan to use this car with slicks and I'm mostly interested in a smoother everyday ride with better brakes and 5 lugs. Also I'd like to hear about ride improvement, fender clearance, ride heigth and so forth. I don't want to fan the IRS vrs straight axle debate please. Thx

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the link Sicarius428, great info ! :nice: I'm thinking I read somewhere that rear springs from a 4-cyl will give the right ride height. Will 4-cyl springs fit the IRS (I would really be surprised) ? If not I might just save up for coil-overs. I'm not crazy about cutting the Cobra IRS springs since the spring rate will already be stiffer for a heavier car and that would just make the ride worse.

Nope. The solid axle and IRS springs are a different fitment. On the solid axle the bottom part near the pigtail portion gets smaller to fit in the cup on the LCA. The IRS springs are straight all the way down. Coilovers would have been ideal but I was already running waaaay over budget. If I had the cobra springs I would have cut them to see how they work at least. No money lost in trying and changing the springs on the IRS are cake.
Kevin

Thanks for the link 93LX. I think I've stumbled across that one before. I'm still hoping to hear some first hand experience from those who have done the swap and can tell me how did it all turn out. What were the biggest obstacles to overcome, like were the brake lines a royal pain. How did the ride height end up (I don't want that humped up look). Is there any problem with wheel hop on the street (I will probably never put slicks on it). And number one, was the ride as smooth as butter and did that make it all worth while ? :shrug:

I seen one done at a car show. The ride was good according to the owner and the ride he had 03 Cobra rims so the car sat nice. I think it was lowered too had a rake that gave the Steed a mean look. Ia lso asked about the install. It took him and a buddy 2 weekends to put it in. The 1st weekend was more of a fit and see what else is needed weekend. The second one was the weekend when everything was buttoned up and finished. The 3rd weekend was brakes and any other loose ends...