Mach 1 Cobra or Mach 1

To All Mach 1 Owners what is the reason you all chose to buy the Mach 1 over the Cobra? I am trying to understand is it cost or style? :shrug: I just can't imagine passing up that Supercharged 32 valve all forged internal motor and six speed transmission Cobra for a Mach 1. Please take the time and maybe point out the differances that are not apparent to me. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Good question, I checked both out, and the GT too. I could have gotten either of the 3 and the things that sold me on the Mach1 are:

1. The old school theme of the Mach's design.

2. I wanted the handling of the Cobra but I love to burn rubber and the solid axle rear in the Mach is a better platform to do that with. The money saved over the Cobra could be spent to improve handling and performance to my liking.

3. The Mach1 identifies itself, IMO, better than the GT or the Cobra.

4. The extra 10 grand I would have had to spend for the power of the Cobra vs the Mach could be spent on the Mach in ways that I wanted, which would give me a more personal Mustang and IMO a better package than Ford provides.

5. I like the 4 valve engine and the aluminum block in the Mach1 which attributes to a better balanced vehicle. Although it is not as strong as the cast iron block I beleive the HP can be had to equal the Cobra without jeopardizing the strength of the Mach1's block.

6. I researched and found a larger base of aftermarket parts that I would be interested in for the Mach1 over the Cobra.

I'm sure I could think of a lot more but right off that's the main reasons for me. I like the Cobra for sure and have a great respect for it but being the type person that likes to modify things, my Mach fit s me just fine. :nice:

At the time I bought the Mach, I could have bought a new Cobra at the same dealer for $2,500 more. I bought the Mach over the Cobra because I really liked the 69 Mach (and Boss models). The shaker probably did it more than the other features of the car. It I were to do it over again I might he more inclined to get the Cobra, but I don't race (too old and don't want to be teqaring up the car anyway). And if I were single, I might have bought both. Who knows. But they are both great cars. I don't regret getting the Mach. Its just a car, but it is a little unique. Don't let us try to persuade you.

I knew I wanted a Mach 1 back in 2001 when I heard rumors of it maybe being built. Ordered a DSG in Sept. '02, but after waiting 6 months cancelled the order due to moving out of state, and the cash was diverted to moving. But in Sept. '04 got my Azure Blue. The looks of it are what sold me. And it's still got good power. If you want ensane power go for the Cobra. If you want great looks and still good power go with the Mach. Whichever you choose, it's a win-win situation.

Actually went to buy the Cobra but the price was too much than I wanted to pay. So I took out the Mach for a test drive. Felt just as strong plus it looked sweet with the shaker, right color, 5-speed, good price and the rest is history. Looking back i'm glad I got the Mach.

I wouldn't say I chose the mach over the cobra..the insurance company did that for me. I was aproved for both cars..but the insurance made my decison for me. 300 dollar a month difference!!!!!

But I feel better and better about my decision. I get more bang for the buck. It's a "factory" drag car. All you have to do is make it go faster. The cobra is the "factory" road race car. To make it into a "drag car" you'll spend more money than what's its worth, when you could have just bought the mach and gone faster cheaper.

However, the cobra is faster from the facotry. Has a hand built motor, and it's supercharged, with a 6 speed(good for gas). Downers, IRS, and heavy as hell.

I like to call them like this..(read this in a mag once) the Cobra is like the Hired Big Boss Hitman. Strong and hard. The Mach is the agile back street bawler. It's it's up to you, and what you want to do with the car.

I would say the large deciding factor was cost. If I could have had either with the same expense, it would have been the snake. It is the faster car stock, it can be made even more so with a few upgrades, and it is forged internally. I've never driven a Stang with an IRS but it would probably be better since I enjoy curves more then drag strips. So, from a mechanical standpoint it's a better vehicle. As far as looks and aesthetics, that is personal opinon. They both are beautiful to me. I'd like to add that if I could trade my Mach for a Cobra now, I would not do it. The Mach is still a great ride that provides tons of pleasure everytime I get in. :nice:

There are a couple reasons why I bought the Mach over the Cobra. Cost was a big thing. If I wanted to be broke until I was 30 then the cobra would be fine, but I would rather be broke until I am 25 like I will be due to the mach. Also, I havent been driving that long, only bout 1 1/2 years and I already totaled one car. After that car I bought a 5.0 and I thought that was plenty for me, but that is causing me some problems so I bought the mach to add to my collection. I was considering a GT, but man, the mach over a GT is day and night. So those are my reasons. It was cheaper and still gives me plenty of power. Someday I will own a cobra, but not at 22 years old.

Combination of a few things. I liked the overall package of the Mach, very appealing to me. Car has enough power to satisfy me as i'm not trying to be the fastest guy in town anymore. Age has slowed me down somewhat i guess you could say. Nobody would A-plan a Cobra. Got the Mach on A-plan and the rebates that were offered at the time so that cinched the deal.