Cobra vs. GT....who wins?

N/A Cobra

Dec 29, 2003
Indiana
I have a 1996 Cobra with Pullies, Flowmaster, K&N, 4.30s, Tri-Ax and a guy I know wants to race me. He has a 2002 Manual Transmission GT with X-Pipe, CAI, and Pullies. I believe that I should win, but he keeps telling everyone that he would beat me. And the race would be an 1/8 mile by the way. What should the outcome be considering the drivers are equal?

• Sponsors (?)

DiabloRojoStang said:
I really don't think it would be much contest. Unless you spin too much with those 4.30s I think you'd take him pretty easily

That is what I am worried about also. I am running on cheap Kumho street tires, and I have never been to the track yet so I may have trouble launching. Any advice? I have practiced launching in various places just for fun, and I do spin, but not entirely bad.

Also, would it make a big difference if the GT had 3.73s, because the owner is thinking about getting a set.

I see you're from Indiana....... Is the GT black in color and the owner's name Tommy by any chance? If so, you will have your hands full. For some reason that car is a freak, and flat out hauls........

davidj5491 said:
I see you're from Indiana....... Is the GT black in color and the owner's name Tommy by any chance? If so, you will have your hands full. For some reason that car is a freak, and flat out hauls........

Yeah, I am from Indiana, but the owner isn't named Tommy. But the car is black... :)

Stock for stock with equal drivers the 96-98 Cobra's and the 99+ GT's are pretty close in the 1/4 with the Cobra winning by a couple tenths...The Cobras start pulling away at the 1/8th mile mark...

a geared Cobra vs. a GT with similar power mods, the cobra is going to win hands down...with those 4.30's your car should be a low 13 second car...with his mods that GT would be a high 13 second car, esp with stock gearing...

Just take it easy out of the hole and once the car is going blow by him...

Well with your tires, I am saying its a drivers race to the 1/4 mile. If you are racing to the 1/8th then I think he has you, that is if het can get it hooked and out of the hole. I know for a fact that a 2V with full exhuast can hang right with a 96-98 cobra that is mildly modded (gears, X, cat-back, pullies). My 98 ran dead even to 120 with this cobra.

The 96-98 cobras are quick but nothing to get cocky about.

Later
Jason

Newer 2V's are just as fast as older 4V Cobras. They both ran low 14's STOCK vs. STOCK. AS ALWAYS it will come down to the driver. Don't spin, you'll lose, traction is key. "A guy" could have 1000HP, and if he can't hook it up, then all of us will smoke "that guy." You know what I mean. Good luck.

SVT32VDOHC said:
Newer 2V's are just as fast as older 4V Cobras. They both ran low 14's STOCK vs. STOCK. AS ALWAYS it will come down to the driver. Don't spin, you'll lose, traction is key. "A guy" could have 1000HP, and if he can't hook it up, then all of us will smoke "that guy." You know what I mean. Good luck.

:shrug: If your 96-98 Cobra coupe is running low 14's, then you are a horrible driver or your car is sick.

Stock 99+ GT's dyno ~220-230rwhp stock, and 96-98 Cobras ~250-260rwhp stock. The low end torque of the new GT's gives them the split second advantage off the line, but the Cobra should walk a GT by a couple cars at least in the quarter.